Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Pads & electric Handbrake

Hi all.
    I have a 2015 2ltr Sri Nav Is it possible to push back the calipers on the rear discs even though i have a electric handbrake. This is my first car with electric handbrake and I am worried that if I twist them back with a Caliper tool then it may damage the handbrake motor. I did read some where that Main dealer needed to plug a coder machine in and retract electronically or is this rubbish and it can be done by an amateur mechanic who wants to save money. Any help on the best way to retract the calipers and change the pads would be really appreciated.

thanks for your help.
    Insignia 2015 Sri Vx Line

Yes you can and yes it is a load of crap. The mechanical handbrake is not linked to the hydraulic brake system, other than it actuates the same piston. The piston needs to be rotated as its retracted. I've used a screw clamp and a flat blade. Just keep the pressure on as you rotate.

Comment

Let handbrake off,remove old pads,use wind back tool to push piston back,,fit new pads.
      Do the other side the same way.
      Pump foot brake a few times BEFORE putting on handbrake
      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Exactly as we did mine a few days ago with no problems, just watch the resovoir in case you push fluid back into it - pads low and fluid has been topped up, also just keep an eye on the rubber boot on the caliper as you wind back so you dont pinch it.

Comment

This is good to know for reference.....also I've heard that disconnecting the battery is a good idea to stop the handbrake actuating while working on the rear brakes - I don't know if that is worth doing?

Comment

Originally posted by MadOnVaux! View Post
            This is good to know for reference.....also I've heard that disconnecting the battery is a good idea to stop the handbrake actuating while working on the rear brakes - I don't know if that is worth doing?
            No need Paul,handbrake released,,keys out,,jobs a goodun
            ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
              No need Paul,handbrake released,,keys out,,jobs a goodun
              Tidy .

Comment

The Haynes manual says to release the handbrake as normal then push and hold the button again to fully release it. I’ll see if I can find the book in the garage

Comment

Originally posted by markinuckfield View Post
                  The Haynes manual says to release the handbrake as normal then push and hold the button again to fully release it. I’ll see if I can find the book in the garage
                  No need,,just release as normal

Comment

Working...
                  X