No announcement yet.

Couple of questions regarding exterior Glass and pointers for clay bars/mits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of questions regarding exterior Glass and pointers for clay bars/mits

First one needs an explanation

When i bought my siggy it was obviously valeted by the garage, and when it rained water didnt just bead off the body work it did off the windows too.
    and when i used my wipers they glided across the windscreen water just seemed to splash off leaving it really clear.

I since washed the car myself and used the full range of Autoglym products in this order

1. Wash car with just water with pressure washer
    2. Covered car in Polar blast (snow foam)
    3. rinsed with washer again
    4. Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner
    5. Autoglym Super resin polish
    6. Autoglym Extra gloss protection
    7. Then cleaned windows with Autoglym Fast glass

Don't get me wrong at this point i was really pleased with myself, the car looked fantastic.
    Then it rained.... wipers on and screeeeeeeaaaach... the rubber wiper juddered across the glass.
    Obviously at this point i came to the conclusion that the Autoglym Fast glass is for interior use only, question is what do i use on the exterior glass?
    Do i just wax it etc like i do the bodywork or is there a specific product i need?

second question

When i use clay mits etc at what point do i use it?
    after the snow foam or after the shampoo?

Sorry if it seems like lots of stupid questions.
    this siggy is the most expensive car ive owned, so want to keep it in the great condition i received it in.
    to do so, i need to learn the right way to clean it

thanks in advance guys, much appreciated.

PS any other tips welcome
    North Manchester - Diesel 2.0 litre 2013 facelift SRI VX-LINE CDTIA - Nav 900 Intellilink - 19" Diamond Alloys

No idea on the first part to be honest ��
    As for the way you cleaned yours there is nothing wrong with what you have done , but saying that when I do mine I don’t pressure wash it first I snow foam mine first step mainly so the foam sticks to the car longer I think the foam slides off of the car too quick if it is wet first , the snow foam is meant to sit and soak into the dirt and lift it off so it can be rinsed off .
    How did you do the shampoo did you use the snow foam bottle of bucket and sponge/ mitt ? .
    As for the clay mitt use it after the shampoo stage and before the polish you won’t need to clay the car every wash .
    Dont wax the windows use a proper glass cleaner I thought fast glass was ok for outside use by the way .
    One thing you didn’t mention was the wheels and tyres I use valet pro Bilberry wheel cleaner for the wheels to remove brake dust etc you can get polish and sealant for the wheels
    For the tyres myself and a lot of people stick to Meguiars endurance .
    Beware cleaning or detailing ( as it seems to be called now ) can get addictive and expensive if you let it ��

Comment

The wheels ... now there's a thing.

On the wife's shogun I used Magma which made her wheels bleed
      But they came up superb!

For mine I used Autoglym wheel cleaner.... which to be honest I won't use again, it was ok but the Autoglym Magma was much better and it didn't sting/burn my skin.

I then used a tyre shine to finish off.

Just watching a recording of the F1 then gonna vac the car out.... won't take long it's spotless already.

Cost...
      This week I have spent £200 on cleaning products and spent £20 on the former and another £100 on a Henry van for the car.
      So yep... It's costly!
      North Manchester - Diesel 2.0 litre 2013 facelift SRI VX-LINE CDTIA - Nav 900 Intellilink - 19" Diamond Alloys

Comment

Shiny and clean again

Comment

I find rainex on glass exterior works well,,use it on all windows,not just the windscreen
          ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Can’t beat a shiney Emerald green , pity they don’t stay like it for long and they are still dry uncommon out on the road .
            Saying that my pathfinder is black and just as bad and a lot bigger ��

Comment

I use rain ex on the windows too.
              LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Might try rain x then.

As for keeping it clean, I know what you mean.
                Only had the car 2 weeks and it looked like I'd took part in the RAC rally haha

To be fair to the place I bought it, the wax or whatever they used was pretty good as it washed off reasonably easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnoe View Post
                  Shiny and clean again
                  That looks a top job . Fancy doing mine
                  Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Working...
                  X