Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s the best Xenon HID

Hi all.

I’m contemplating purchasing xenon HID’s and I’m wondering if you still recommend them and what are the best kits out there to buy, I have seen that these for sale from Londoncolour would they be suitable or can you suggest alternative kits and would all the wiring and ballast fit inside the light.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-I...0?roken=cUgayN via @eBay_UK‬

Also what is the best colour rating to get would you recommend 5000k or 6000k, and also would these pass the MOT or need to be changed prior to the test.

Many thanks for you help.
    Insignia 2015 Sri Vx Line

What sort of headlights you got ?
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

It’s a 2015 SRI VX Line, I believe they are HIR2/9012 lights.

Comment

5000 or 5500k will be a perfect match to your DRLs
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I find London Colour do the best xenon bulbs but the prices of their kits are a bit steep. They're good kits though. Yeah agree you want to be looking at around 5000k for the best match for your DRLs. No they won't pass an mot. The new rules will have mot testers checking what bulbs your have in. If you have after market hids or leds, they will fail. Just stick the old halogens back in for it.

Yeah, wiring, ballasts and cables all fit instide the headlight housing. Its a tight fit and takes a bit of gentle wriggling but it does go and the cover fits ok.
          2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Edit..... double post.

Sorry.
            Last edited by RBH; 15-05-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I paid £29 off Fleabay for my HID kit.

Can't fault it whatsoever.

Comment

Did you buy the 5000k or the 6000k bulbs and did all the wiring, ballast etc fit comfortably inside the light housing.

Will you swap them out when it comes to your next MOT or leave them in and chance it.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Romfordblue View Post
                  Did you buy the 5000k or the 6000k bulbs and did all the wiring, ballast etc fit comfortably inside the light housing.

Will you swap them out when it comes to your next MOT or leave them in and chance it.

Thanks
                  I bought the 6k ones.
                  I've always had 6k in my previous cars, so I just stuck with that.
                  The ballasts will not fit inside as there isn't any room....the units are tight....well on mine they are.
                  I had the headlights out and found it physically impossible to fit everything inside them.

I will be keeping my hids in when it comes to MOT time.
                  My local garage does every MOT for me and he's not got any issue with them........but as legislation changes, I'll see what happens.

Comment

Have you considered LEDs. They've come on leaps and bounds. I had them in my facelift they don't quite have the output of hids but they're still miles better than halogen (if you're moving from halogen to LEDs the difference is massive) they only have a small driver so it easily fits inside the housing.

I had a few different hid kits in my facelift and I always managed to get everything in the housing. I always ditched the extension cables though.
                    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Not thought about LED’s are they still brighter and whiter than halogens, what brightness did you purchase 5000k or 6000k as I thought LED’s were not as bright, would you have a link to a good set as if they fit easier into the light casing then I might consider them. Thanks

Comment

These are the ones I had in my facelift http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/exterio...d-headlight-v2 They fit nicely inside the housing with the cover on.

I took a few pics of the install.

After the halogen bulb was removed

Led bulb in place

Just before tucking the driver and cable inside the housing

Once the driver and cable are tucked in, spread the mesh heat sink then replace the cover

A pretty nice colour match to the drls

As you can see....A lot brighter than halogens. Not quite the output of hids but not far off and they're instant on...No warm up time like hids

As you can see in this short video

Comment

Thanks Marco, they look really great and I’ve ordered a set and it also turns out there’s a 35% discount on top so I’m well pleased. I’ll look forward to adding these to the car soon.

Comment

I'm not sure if you've changed bulbs in a facelift yet? It can be a bit tight getting access. The driver's side (in the photos) it the easiest because you can pull the airbox up out of its rubber mountings and swing it out of the way. That's the side I'd do first so you know how everything goes before you tackle the passenger side. That's a little harder to get to. You need to remove the filler neck of the screen wash. Just wiggle it and pull up at the same time and it will pop off. Some have removed the fuse box to gain access but you shouldn't need to. Its a bit tight but there is enough room once the screen wash it out of the way.

Comment

Changed the lights on my car today from old naff Halogens to LED's and what a difference, it's brilliant. The process was extremely straight forward and was exactly how Marco301 explained in his fitting instructions above in the thread. The whole process took 20 minutes and was so worth it, and I totally recommend the LED's as they fit in the light casing so easy with room to spare and are so simple to fit.
                              👍

Comment

Working...
                              X