No announcement yet.

AFL Headlamp LED sidelamp not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFL Headlamp LED sidelamp not working?

Hi Guys,

Recently picked up an Insignia Elite on the cheap with a few issues many of which I have managed to sort but one which I have still to investigate is an issue with the DRL or sidelamp it's working on the drivers side but not on the passenger side.

Is there a way to check for voltage at a certain pin to see if they are getting power or is it a case that they just have a live and earth feed and everything else is operated via canbus?

What controls power to the DRL within the headlamp? Anyone had a good scout about at repairing one of these?

Thanks in advance,
    Paul.

Chances are the drl has failed,,new headlight required if it has
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

you could open them up but its a PITA as its permasealed

Comment

I guessing that's why the car is sold on. Brand new replacement was probably very expensive. You would have to replace the whole headlight cluster, you can find these on ebay easily enough look for insignia elite as this is standard on them.

Comment

i think this will soon be an issue for a lot of second hand cars in the future
          more and more cars are been fitted with led lamps front and rear for drl/sidelights and brakes once these go the car will be an MOT failure with a very expensive repair bill, gone are the days where you can throw in a cheap brake light bulb to pass an MOT
          also all led clusters are custom made to that model so will need to wait a few days to get a replace most likely from the main dealer if you can't find one online

Comment

Ah there is a good few bits more than that wrong but it was got for peanuts so I have cash to spare on it already sorted the heating mats and rear parking sensors and they didn't cost anything so not to be deterred I will rip the headlamp and see what I can do with it. I'd be decent enough with electrics so I'll report my findings here and if I can manage to come up with a solution other than replacing the headlamp...

I'm led to believe that the unit that controls the DRL is on the base or floor of the lamp so i'll start there.

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Get yourself a cardboard box big enough for the headlight cut a hole in the side for a hair dryer,
                Stick headlight in the box close the lid switch on the hairdryer and leave for 10-15mins this will soften the sealant enough to split the lens from the housing.
                One fixed you can refit the same way fixed & repaired a few headlights this way.

You can also use the oven but I prefer using a box.

Sure there is videos on YouTube showing how it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wullie View Post
                  Get yourself a cardboard box big enough for the headlight cut a hole in the side for a hair dryer,
                  Stick headlight in the box close the lid switch on the hairdryer and leave for 10-15mins this will soften the sealant enough to split the lens from the housing.
                  One fixed you can refit the same way fixed & repaired a few headlights this way.

You can also use the oven but I prefer using a box.

Sure there is videos on YouTube showing how it's done.
                  were these permaseal headlights or butyl rubber?
                  butyl rubber ones are easy enough to split, permaseal is a PITA, but multiple heating cycles and working quickly before it cools should do the trick

Comment

@Fast focus
                    Just wondering does a warning message come on when your LED DRL is out

Comment

Right lads not to be one to make a post and then when a solution is found not to come back here was my findings.. sriray No message on the dash about it.

In pulled the lamp 5 min job didn't remove the undertray screws just the side and top

The minute I pulled the jack plug off what couldn't be seen when it was in the car was immediately apparent when it was out.

See anything wrong here...

One of the pins had pushed right in through vibration probably so I just took a pliers and put a little twist on it so there was resistance on it just falling back...

The re fitted and bingo all working again... Maybe the picture wont come out clear it's hard to picture DRL but they are working. Wohoo.

Comment

Nice result!!!
                        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Nice job
                          Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                          Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Free & easy fix.

Nice one.

Comment

Nice work, didn't think something like that could happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X