No announcement yet.

new owner with 2 questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes but if he is only topping up the expansion tank it is not going to do much harm to see if the system is leaking or not

Comment

Just for info: the engine cooling system rad is the rearmost i.e. nearest the fans, the first is the aircon, then the inter-cooler. So stone damage not likely or near impossible. Unless, like some one I know, you dropped a bolt from the egr valve cooler whilst changing it, and couldnt find it for love nor money, and gave up looking, and thought nothing of it, until you had a coolant system leak. Then it may be the rad.
      That was me BTW. The screw dropped down between the rad and the fan housing, rattling/vibrating away over a year it wore a hole in the rad. Result: Got a new rad.

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
        Just for info: the engine cooling system rad is the rearmost i.e. nearest the fans, the first is the aircon, then the inter-cooler. So stone damage not likely or near impossible. Unless, like some one I know, you dropped a bolt from the egr valve cooler whilst changing it, and couldnt find it for love nor money, and gave up looking, and thought nothing of it, until you had a coolant system leak. Then it may be the rad.
        That was me BTW. The screw dropped down between the rad and the fan housing, rattling/vibrating away over a year it wore a hole in the rad. Result: Got a new rad.
        Doesn’t sound like you could have found the bolt, expensive bolt to drop as well. Thanks for the detail as well

Comment

No bother. Well I did see it after a few weeks but couldnt get it out, (I didnt try too hard) and thought, what harm will it do? About £200 a year later it turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lff64 View Post
            Yes but if he is only topping up the expansion tank it is not going to do much harm to see if the system is leaking or not
            The thing is he's topping up something that could have been topped up many times already. He doesn't know if that has been with antifreeze or water. For the sake of 20 quid it's not worth the risk. Sure water for a couple of days while he keeps an eye on the level but it isn't something I'd leave until later in the year before doing a proper job for the reasons I mensioned in my previous post.
            2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
              The thing is he's topping up something that could have been topped up many times already. He doesn't know if that has been with antifreeze or water. For the sake of 20 quid it's not worth the risk. Sure water for a couple of days while he keeps an eye on the level but it isn't something I'd leave until later in the year before doing a proper job for the reasons I mensioned in my previous post.
              Totally agree.

Best thing to do, is drain the system and flush it through with clean water. Then top the system up with the correct coolant.

Remeber the coolant also has properties to prevent corrosion within the block and it is vital to use it.

Comment

Also read somewhere different coloured coolants can react against one another,and can cause premature corrosion in the whole coolant system.
                ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                  Also read somewhere different coloured coolants can react against one another,and can cause premature corrosion in the whole coolant system.
                  Or turn into a gel within your coolant system which really messes up your system.

Comment

Why are you messing about?
                    Get it taken back, you've just parted with a shed full of money and the cars not right.
                    And while your there ask why it needs topping up.
                    Sounds like its got a load of bad news behind it ? These things are as common as muck, and you dont sound happy with it anyway, go and get a minter with a better sound system, phone , bluetooth etc.
                    Its your money mate, I waited months to find the right car, fully loaded, milage, history etc.
                    Good luck with it.

Comment

Took it back, they agreed it wasn't right - topped it up for the next 4 days and it is now booked in for a full pressure test and flush to have the right coolant put in. Aside from that and a few audio niggles (easily resolved with a DAB radio unit), the car is excellent, and the engine temp is staying at 90 solid, so doesn't appear to be any issue there and I am barely driving it this week anyways. I'll report back asap.

Comment

Working...
                      X