Egr clean white smoke, low coolant and juddering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egr clean white smoke, low coolant and juddering

Afternoon folks, this is my first time posting and I’m looking for assistance. I’ve had a search to see what this problem might be but nothing is specifically matching my symptoms.

2.0 a20dth 2009 84000 miles
    I recently changed the turbo actuator valve as mine was buzzing. This new one also buzzes so I’m probably gonna put the original one back on as I believe the new one (Chinese knock off) is causing delayed throttle response.
    Anyway I’m not convinced this is connected with my problem.

Yesterday I took off the egr valve and associated pipe to clean it. This all went ok and thought I was done. Afterwards the car refused to start and after diagnosing a new battery it’s now fine.

However after about 5 or 10 mins driving the car juddered, lost power and kicked white smoke out the back. After realising I forgot to top up the coolant after egr removal I topped up, but it’s having the same issue and is barely if at all driveable.

It’s horsing it down with rain just now so I’ve not been back out to take the egr off to check. Is it possible I’ve messed up the gasket and there’s coolant in the intake system or is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Stuart
    Last edited by 20cdti; 01-06-2018, 04:15 PM. Reason: Spelling

Found the issue is the egr gasket is nackered causing coolant to get into the intake and leak from the egr.

Plumbers mate didn’t work, so looking like I need a new gasket, which is proving challenging to find at short notice �� anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Stuart

Comment

Instant gasket from halfrauds or main dealer I guess

Comment

Thanks Mark,

I have my fingers crossed for main dealer tomorrow morning but failing that I’ll have to give halfrauds a go. Assuming instant gasket wouldn’t have an issue with the water pressure like plumbers mate did?
        Stuart

Comment

It shouldn’t do, I’d think it would depend on the pressures involved

Comment

Main dealer came through and supplied a new gasket with the rubber covering and it’s solved the issue. Just in case this thread is of use to anyone else, get a new gasket if you’re cleaning your egr!

Stuart

Comment

It’s odd, I took my egr off and it only had a small amount of carbon build up but it went back on ok without a leak, I also tried changing the turbo boost valve, the first one was damaged in the post and the second one up the car into limp mode, I’ll be buying a proper one as soon as I think the car needs it as it goes well enough.

Comment

Funny you should say that about the boost control valve, my “new” one feels like it’s holding the car back rather than being better than the one that was on, I think it’s worse!!

Please let me know how you get on if you get another one? I’m tempted to put my original one back on and just put up with the buzzing!

Comment

I put the old one back on and cleared to codes and she’s fine, if I pop the bonnet it moo’s but it’s still working. Looks like a real one is about £30 from a vx dealer in fleabay

Comment

Might just stump up for the real deal, will see what happens when I put the old one back on but I didn’t get any codes when I changed to the Chinese one, so hopefully same when I swap back!

Comment

When you say gasket on the egr do you mean the one on the egr valve itself or the one between the egr cooler and the block?

Comment

Originally posted by Sazza View Post
                        When you say gasket on the egr do you mean the one on the egr valve itself or the one between the egr cooler and the block?
                        It’s the metal gasket between the egr valve and the engine block. It’s metal with a rubber / silicone sort of coating on it, which was degraded on my old one.

HTH
                        Stuart

Comment

this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152228401651 which goes between the egr valve and the cooler or this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-Valve...EAAOSwb4Vbtla3 which goes between the cooler and the block?

Sorry for asking but i am having the same problem but i have changed the second gasket already.

Comment

It’s the red one at £46. I don’t know where the other one goes but the red one is the one I changed and is around the same price as I paid at Vauxhall.
                            The round hole is where the valve slips into the engine and the smaller one at the top is where the coolant passes through.
                            Good luck. I remember how much this stressed me out, hope you get it sorted.

Comment

Thanks going to give this a go tomorrow with a sealer failing that I'll order the new gasket

Comment

Working...
                              X