Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

" Low oil pressure, stop engine" warning on recently bought car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RBH View Post

Well....basing it on Frank - £200 and that's him doing the job and supplying all parts, oils etc.

Mines gets done this/next week and it's cost me £65 all in for the parts - oil seal, sump plug, 5 litres dextos2, 3 litres of gear oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and pollen filter.
    I'm putting a new sump pan on too so that was an extra £50....so I'm at £115 for all that.

Definitely been stung stavros
    That's a bargain... Is that all VX gear?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex421 View Post

That's a bargain... Is that all VX gear?
      Shell oils.
      3 Filters are com line
      fuel filter is a Bosch

​​​​The seal and sump are genuine.

Comment

Shell oils.
        3 Filters are com line
        fuel filter is a Bosch
        Was wondering there had me thinking this guy must have shares at vauxhall

Comment

Was wondering there had me thinking this guy must have shares at vauxhall
          Don't need to be ripped off with VX filters.
          i change mine regular.
          But the gear oil, engine oil and seal......gotta be the best

If i change the oil and filters every 6 months then I'm happy.

Comment

Well....basing it on Frank - £200 and that's him doing the job and supplying all parts, oils etc.

Mines gets done this/next week and it's cost me £65 all in for the parts - oil seal, sump plug, 5 litres dextos2, 3 litres of gear oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and pollen filter.
            I'm putting a new sump pan on too so that was an extra £50....so I'm at £115 for all that.

Definitely been stung stavros

I have been told/read that the work required depends on which gearbox the car has.
            Low-power variants often have the M32 gearbox so the seal can be accessed easily.
            Autos have the AF40 which also allows access.
            High-power variants have the F40 gearbox which either has to come off (£££ labour charge) or the mechanic has to be prepared to drill through it to gain access to change the oil seal.

Comment

F40 box with cutouts

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post

I have been told/read that the work required depends on which gearbox the car has.
                Low-power variants often have the M32 gearbox so the seal can be accessed easily.
                Autos have the AF40 which also allows access.
                High-power variants have the F40 gearbox which either has to come off (£££ labour charge) or the mechanic has to be prepared to drill through it to gain access to change the oil seal.
                Yep......my F40 doesn't have the access holes.

But Frank still charges £200.

I think if it's a bit turbo, it's about £20 dearer.

Comment

F40 box with cutouts
                  The picture doesn't come out too well on my screen, but are they factory-made cutouts? If so, which model and which year is that?

Comment

Did it need to be done or did you choose to have it done?

Which engine version? (130/140/160 etc)

What kind of usage does the car get? Does it do quite a few short journeys which might interrupt regens?

Is the service history all by Vauxhall or have local/independent garages done some of it?

Thanks!
                    I have had the oil pressure low light a few times now and I didn't want to risk it failing completely.
                    My wife uses the car mostly going to work as I have my van and a weekend car so I don't use the insignia much anymore(other than when it goes wrong and needs to be fixed, then it's "our" car again )
                    It's the 160 has a few short journeys about 3 during the week of about 5miles then we use it as the family car at the weekend when it goes about 30 miles or so.

I have a mechanic who services my vehicles as they are needed but he was not confident in doing the pickup seal so I took it to another independent garage. He asked me if I wanted have him cut/drill the gearbox or remove it. I went for removing as I didn't want to risk having to get a new gearbox.
                    I'm happy it's done now and after getting a quote from the dealers at £890 labour and £280 in parts I'm happy to have paid less and had a full service and a fresh mot.

Comment

The picture doesn't come out too well on my screen, but are they factory-made cutouts? If so, which model and which year is that?
                      Sri 160 2009, they're original cut outs, some have it some don't

Comment

Originally posted by stavros View Post

I have had the oil pressure low light a few times now and I didn't want to risk it failing completely.
                        My wife uses the car mostly going to work as I have my van and a weekend car so I don't use the insignia much anymore(other than when it goes wrong and needs to be fixed, then it's "our" car again )
                        It's the 160 has a few short journeys about 3 during the week of about 5miles then we use it as the family car at the weekend when it goes about 30 miles or so.

I have a mechanic who services my vehicles as they are needed but he was not confident in doing the pickup seal so I took it to another independent garage. He asked me if I wanted have him cut/drill the gearbox or remove it. I went for removing as I didn't want to risk having to get a new gearbox.
                        I'm happy it's done now and after getting a quote from the dealers at £890 labour and £280 in parts I'm happy to have paid less and had a full service and a fresh mot.
                        Thanks!

Which year and trim level is yours, since Alex421 has an 09 SRi 160 which does have cutouts.

I'm interested to know - and perhaps many would-be Insignia buyers are too - if there's a trend which might help find one which is easier to get at the bolts without drilling the gearbox or removing the gearbox.

Comment

Working...
                        X