Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

" Low oil pressure, stop engine" warning on recently bought car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys
    I had the same problem with the low oil pressure message for some time. Got the seal you mentioned changed as well as the oil but the message is still coming up. I would very much appreciate it if you share some ideas as to why that might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Karr View Post
      Hi guys
      I had the same problem with the low oil pressure message for some time. Got the seal you mentioned changed as well as the oil but the message is still coming up. I would very much appreciate it if you share some ideas as to why that might be.
      oil pump would be the next port of call
      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Hi guys
        Karr, this appears to be your first post? Without knowing much about your car such as age, mileage, model and spec etc we can only guess. Why not go along to the new members section and introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your car. For example if you have been driving it for some time since first seeing this warning you may have so much wear on the big end bearings that you will never achieve enough oil pressure! Engine failure may be next.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
          oil pump would be the next port of call
          Thanks ill get in touch with the garage tomorrow. If anyone has any other ideas i would really appreciate it.

Comment

Hi guys
            low oil pressure can cause wear to the engine and if it was not caught in time the wear that could have occured can then cause low oil pressure.

Comment

Its a 2009 insignia 2.0 cdti manual. I probably drove it for 1000 miles im not sure after the message popped up.

Comment

As well as oil pump get the garage to check the oil pressure sensor and connections, also have you had the correct oil when servicing? Check for the spec in the handbook.

Comment

Got my seal changed, mechanic gave me the old one, rock solid like plastic he said it should be flexible like rubber, also serviced and replaced some of these bloody expensive glow plugs, hopefully they'll see the car out.
                  160,000 mile on the clock hopefully I'll get another 150,000 out of it.
                  He just said service regularly and she'll last for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel123 View Post
                    Got my seal changed, mechanic gave me the old one, rock solid like plastic he said it should be flexible like rubber, also serviced and replaced some of these bloody expensive glow plugs, hopefully they'll see the car out.
                    160,000 mile on the clock hopefully I'll get another 150,000 out of it.
                    He just said service regularly and she'll last for years.
                    How much did your seal replacement cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex421 View Post
                      How much did your seal replacement cost?
                      Around €250, was included on a bill with other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel123 View Post
                        Around €250, was included on a bill with other things.
                        That's a good price

Comment

Well it turns our the problem was coming from the oil pressure sensor.

Comment

Well it turns our the problem was coming from the oil pressure sensor.
                            That’s interesting, that’s good news as it means the oil pressure was never low so there has been no permanent damage to the engine.

Did you have the exactly same symptoms as the original poster reported, as in low oil pressure on cold start, which goes off as soon as you turn the engine off and on again?

I recently purchased an Insignia with this issue. I took it back and the trader allegedly replaced the oil pump and the earning no longer comes on, but now I’m worried about damage it may already have done to the engine (by the previous owner).

Thanks,

Bruce.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce123 View Post
                              That’s interesting, that’s good news as it means the oil pressure was never low so there has been no permanent damage to the engine.

Did you have the exactly same symptoms as the original poster reported, as in low oil pressure on cold start, which goes off as soon as you turn the engine off and on again?

I recently purchased an Insignia with this issue. I took it back and the trader allegedly replaced the oil pump and the earning no longer comes on, but now I’m worried about damage it may already have done to the engine (by the previous owner).

Thanks,

Bruce.
                              If the low pressure warning comes up, I'd be more inclined to get the seal replaced.

Comment

I have to agree Rab, having had this issue myself.
                                I also at the start thought the same with pressure sensor, doing a resistance check on sensor proved it wasn't at fault.
                                This left me thinking the worst (pumps on its way out), I then find this friendly site to which mostly everyone points to the oil seal, I carried out the work myself so got the opportunity to inspect the seal for myself to which it had slightly shrunk in height and had became hard and brittle compared to the new seal.
                                Even if you do not have the warning I would still highly recommend getting this done as precaution, I would treat it as a serviceable part.
                                As a recommendation I would suggest around 5 years or 50k whichever first.

Comment

Working...
                                X