Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

" Low oil pressure, stop engine" warning on recently bought car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " Low oil pressure, stop engine" warning on recently bought car.

Hello everyone,

Its my first post here and unfortunately quite a grim one for me. I bought 2012 Insignia 2.0 cdti manual a week ago from private seller. Car looked nice , tons of things done recently ( cam belt, clutch, flywheel, new brake pads etc ). Oil was changed correctly all the time and it had passed all the MOTs without any advisories. Seller said it car is in mint condition, it looked and sounded like it. Came back from Glasgow to Dundee and no problems there, car worked perfectly. Fast forward to Saturday, I thought il go and valet car properly . Turned it on and bam " low oil pressure, stop engine". That 90 mile trip from Glasgow to Dundee was all i could manage with that car. Came out of the car and noticed rear right tire is almost flat. Thing he failed to mention. 2 problems in a row is quite suspicious. No idea if that was a first warning light or has it been appeared before and caused some serious damage. Car has done 139k miles and warning goes away after turning it off and then on again.
    I read from other forums that possible cause is oil pick up pipe rubber seal and its an expensive job to get it done. I am taking it to garage in the morning to diagnose whats the actual cause. I dont want to start blaming anyone before there is some actual proof that it was just not bad coincidence. If he did lie to me about those problems what are my rights in this case ? Can I take him to small claim court and hopefully get it fixed or get my money back entirely ?

Thanks in advance.

There is a rubber seal that perishes over time.
    LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Expensive job i'm afraid on just a cheap part. When the message comes on you shouldn't drive it at all, as this will knacker the bottom end resulting in a new engine needed. You see lots of insignia being stripped for parts is the result of this.

Comment

As regarding your rights, as a private purchase you have none unfortunately
        Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

with regard to the rear tyre been almost flat, there is possibility you ran over something on your 90 mile trip

Comment

As other people have said it’s a cheap part but expensive on labour.

Your never going to tell if the last owner knew but I think it has just been unfortunate timing for yourself. This can appear at anytime. From what you have said it seems a well looked after car so get it fixed and hopefully you will have no more problems going forward.
            sigpic

Comment

This is the culprit that causes the problem:
              Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
              Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Thanks for the all replays. I took the car to garage and hopefully get diagnostics and rough quote today. I read somewhere it can take up to 10h to change that small seal.
                I am hoping that diagnostics can squeeze out either time stamp or mileage when that problem occurred first. If saturday was first time then thats all on me, but if not then I am going to take that guy to small claim courts if I have to.

Comment

Unfortunately I don’t think they can give you dates and how many times it has occurred.

A few people have had it done recently and I think it’s a 3 hour job max.

What gearbox do you have, m32 or F40? If your unsure just let us know what engine your car is again?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pondy81 View Post
                    Unfortunately I don’t think they can give you dates and how many times it has occurred.

A few people have had it done recently and I think it’s a 3 hour job max.

What gearbox do you have, m32 or F40? If your unsure just let us know what engine your car is again?
                    3 hours dont sound so bad. I hope its just a seal and nothing else.
                    Its 2.0 sri cdti 6 speed manual.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyPaws View Post
                      3 hours dont sound so bad. I hope its just a seal and nothing else.
                      Its 2.0 sri cdti 6 speed manual.
                      The 2.0 diesel has 2 types 130bhp and 160bhp.
                      On the back of your car, the CDTi badge, is the Ti black?

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                        The 2.0 diesel has 2 types 130bhp and 160bhp.
                        On the back of your car, the CDTi badge, is the Ti black?
                        Sorry my bad. Its 160bph model. I just got back from garage and they said its roughly 8h work.

Comment

You should have the F40 gearbox. What Garage did you take it to? Vx one or back street garage. Shouldn’t be that long.

Let me find a link for you.
                          sigpic

Comment

This isn’t the one I’m looking at but have a read of this - sump removal on cdti sri
                            The UK's largest and friendliest Vauxhall Insignia forum. Join for useful guides and advice from established and knowledgeable member. We welcome owners from around the world of the Opel Insignia, Buick Regal or the Holden Commodore
                            sigpic

Comment

This is the one -

How To: Replace Oil Pickup Seal in Sump A20DTH
                              The UK's largest and friendliest Vauxhall Insignia forum. Join for useful guides and advice from established and knowledgeable member. We welcome owners from around the world of the Opel Insignia, Buick Regal or the Holden Commodore
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X