Old Car...swapped at the right time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Car...swapped at the right time!

Checked the DVLA MOT checker site to see if my old car may be back out and about. Seems I may have got rid of it at just the right time as it failed an MOT a few days after I part exchanged for the new GS Tourer with a list of what I suspect may be expensive fixes needed!!

Date tested
    12 March 2018
    FAIL
    Mileage
    60,271 miles
    MOT test number
    2065 2905 5541
    Test location
    unavailable until further notice
    Reason(s) for failure
    Anti-lock braking system warning lamp indicates an ABS fault (3.4.1c)
    Electronic stability system warning lamp indicates a fault (3.4.1c)
    Electronic parking brake warning indicates a malfunction (3.1.7)
    Electronic parking brake control defective so that it cannot be satisfactorily operated (3.1.3c)
    Drivers seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism not functioning as intended. (6.2.A.3)
    Electronic power steering warning lamp indicates a failure in the system (2.3.8)

If these I only ever saw the power steering light on a few times when you went full lock to the left which I believe is related to one of the ABS sensors but I never got round to sorting knowing I was getting rid. I also once got a light relating to the handbrake but I restarted the car and it was fine. I’d not moved the drivers seat in probably two years so no idea that wasn’t working!!

Certainly a lucky escape. Probably will be expensive totted up.

Comment

Yeh probably why it’s not had any retest as yet.

Comment

One of the big reasons I'll buy new why I can. I can't be doing with buying someone elses troubles.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
          One of the big reasons I'll buy new why I can. I can't be doing with buying someone elses troubles.
          Only if you can afford it .

But we know you are minted .

Having said that, best way to own a car is get brand new and lease on PCH or PCP

Comment

Tbh it can be false economy buying an older car. I've been there. Its great when you get a trouble free one but there are usually reasons someone is getting rid and I prefer not to take the risk.

If you're heavily into modding I wouldn't buy new though. Its a shame to cannibalise a new car. That's why painting my wheels black is still on the to do list. Its a year old on the 14th July so I might treat them to a paint or powder coat then.
            2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
              Tbh it can be false economy buying an older car. I've been there. Its great when you get a trouble free one but there are usually reasons someone is getting rid and I prefer not to take the risk.

If you're heavily into modding I wouldn't buy new though. Its a shame to cannibalise a new car. That's why painting my wheels black is still on the to do list. Its a year old on the 14th July so I might treat them to a paint or powder coat then.
              I agree Mark. Think mine was a lemon to the original owner. Prob too slow for a big car, thats my complaint until i had this remap done which helped abit.

Comment

Just checked again and seems someone has taken the hit and got it all sorted and my old car is roadworthy again!! Was tested on the 27th Dec and initially failed for "Offside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (3.4 (b) (ii))" but then passed the same day so presumably they swapped it there and then to get it through. Be interesting to see if it turns up anywhere, had a quick look on Autotrader but cant see it for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by bransoj View Post
                  Just checked again and seems someone has taken the hit and got it all sorted and my old car is roadworthy again!! Was tested on the 27th Dec and initially failed for "Offside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (3.4 (b) (ii))" but then passed the same day so presumably they swapped it there and then to get it through. Be interesting to see if it turns up anywhere, had a quick look on Autotrader but cant see it for sale.
                  Could it be a potential battery germlin?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon199102 View Post
                    Could it be a potential battery germlin?
                    I suppose there is a chance that was the case but I suspect it was unlikely. I knew there was an issue with an iffy abs sensor that was causing one of the lights to come on and there were a lot of issues for it all to be cleared up with just the battery. Car was coming up for 8 years old which was part of the reason I got shut of it.

Comment

Originally posted by bransoj View Post
                      I suppose there is a chance that was the case but I suspect it was unlikely. I knew there was an issue with an iffy abs sensor that was causing one of the lights to come on and there were a lot of issues for it all to be cleared up with just the battery. Car was coming up for 8 years old which was part of the reason I got shut of it.
                      I find the insignia a very strange car in deed.

For example I've owned my elite 64 plate for over a year now. It has never auto activated the car parking sensors. The only way to activate them is by pressing the button. Never bothered me until as of a couple days ago it started to just work. I was also greated by a Opel badge when I got into the car too. Which is never done before. It only did it once and went back to its Vauxhall one.

It's not the battery. I had it replaced a year back.

Ahhh well good timing I guess.

Comment

Usual sign of the battery dying is all those warnings

Comment

Could well have been then although I was getting rid anyway to go back to petrol and as i part exchanged they never even opened the car, just looked it over in the dark to give me a decent price anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X