X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabin whistling noise drivers side. Help

Hello everyone,

Hope you can help pretty please.

A year ago I bought a 20 ltr sri diesel 11 plate auto with 30 thousand on the clock.
    Car is brilliant and in amazing condition, drives well and the nav is easy to use. About 2 or so months ago I started getting a wind whistling noise coming from (pretty damn well sure) the wing mirror corner drivers side. Ever since it has ruined most journeys. Sometimes it doesn't do it and you think its fixed then its back... oh and the more windy the day the worse it is. Usually starts at 40 plus and keeps on all through the 50s. I can only say its like having someone whistling in your ear as you drive. I have tried everything to find it.... :-(

I have masked off all the door seals with tape, this proved inconclusive, adjusted wing mirror, removed the little corner speaker and actually padded the door void, fitted wind deflectors, checked to see if the bolt is missing for the mirror, inspected all seals and trim for splits, checked electric window. You name it I've done it... I normally find things like this but it's beat me.

Please no turn the radio up... I've had months of that... I love my siggy but it's doing my head in.

Regards

Andrew

I am sure that there is a hole for a bolt behind the tweeter speaker and some people have put a grommet in the hole to stop the whistle. HTH.
    LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Thank you for the reply, sadly all the bolt holes have bolts through them.

Comment

Are you sure its not one of the heater vents thats slightly open?

Comment

Do you mean the main one drivers side? I've checked that over a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew40 View Post
            Thank you for the reply, sadly all the bolt holes have bolts through them.
            Just to check, all 3 holes have bolts?

Comment

Yep all three do :-(

Comment

Originally posted by andrew40 View Post
                Do you mean the main one drivers side? I've checked that over a few times.
                Yes the one that can be directed to side window. What i would do is while whistling open them all and see if the whistle changes tone. Also duster held tight up to vents.

Comment

Originally posted by Witty View Post
                  I am sure that there is a hole for a bolt behind the tweeter speaker and some people have put a grommet in the hole to stop the whistle. HTH.
                  Funny you say that on mine the n/s mirror seemed loose and a bolt was missing and I had to take the door card off

Comment

Still no joy....it's odd comes and goes really annoying. Got me beat... Shame because it spoils a nice driving car. The ridiculous things I have tried to stop it

Comment

Pity you are so far away (I'm in Nottinghamshire and sometimes near Harrogate North Yorkshire) as second pair of ears might help. Another thought I had which happened to me "have the wiper blades been changed" I had new screen fitted and the blade was sat to high and not in there rest position. Check would be to remove if there is know likelihood of rain.

Comment

I did try the wipers idea but no joy and thank you for the offer i'd take you up on that if I lived closer. I did about 60 miles today and it's windy out... sounded like one of those old fashioned kettles grrrrrr!! Only way to drown it out is to crack the window a bit. What a joke with a well kitted out good looking car! Seems to be a lot of wind noise down the drivers side but I've checked everything possible. I'd pay someone to solve the problem... I don't listen to all that much music so I'm fubar with it.

If I was one of the those people (we all know one) who gets a new car every time the ash tray is full or just to use up assets...i'd give it the boot over this. Even my passengers are asking what it is. Must be a draft getting in and hitting someone that resonates or at just the right angle to whistle. Totally beaten :-(

Comment

Years ago i had Omega that did something similar I read somewhere that the heater flaps (the ones behind dash) sometimes needed re-setting as they were being opened closed via the ECU to control the flow of heat/cooling as required, I would do some internet searching to see if one of the behind dash flaps is not fully closed.
                          EDIT 13:30 on 14th June.
                          Just been looking at a problem with the mrs's GLA The rubber that fits to top of door and seals against window has started to crumble and some comments are the chemicals some car wash guys use can affect rubber. Have you checked yours closely?
                          See here:-
                          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Hi, I hope you solved this. Just throwing my 2 cents in in case you haven't. Worked for me anyway. There is a circular cut out in the metal frame behind the tweeter. Marked in picture... I stuck a sponge right in it and the noise is now completely gone.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190713_093826.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	243355

Comment

Working...
                            X