Fuel tank top up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank top up

I've just put £30 of fuel in my car as it was running low the warning bong had not yet sounded. My issue is that the gauge is showing under half full and computer is saying 155 miles left... I get a lot more when I only put £20 in.. Could it be a faulty gauge or another problem. I checked and seen no sign of leaks or spillage.. Or could it be that it bonged for low fuel last week, and I only put £20 in, never had this issue before, and I seem to be getting 35+ mpg round town.. So economy is still the same..

Originally posted by Arfa View Post
    I've just put £30 of fuel in my car as it was running low the warning bong had not yet sounded. My issue is that the gauge is showing under half full and computer is saying 155 miles left... I get a lot more when I only put £20 in.. Could it be a faulty gauge or another problem. I checked and seen no sign of leaks or spillage.. Or could it be that it bonged for low fuel last week, and I only put £20 in, never had this issue before, and I seem to be getting 35+ mpg round town.. So economy is still the same..
    A week late replying but range remaining is estimated by the amount of fuel used in the last few miles, which is affected by what type of driving the car did in the last few miles.

If I've just spent half an hour stuck in traffic, then fill up, I might only show 250 miles range remaining from a full tank, but if I immediately go out onto open roads my range remaining will gradually creep up to 500 miles.
    Basically my trip computer has seen that I've only been getting 20mpg for the last half hour while in traffic so it estimates how far I will get on what remains based on that assumption. But after a few minutes on open roads the trip computer sees my consumption has improved to 40mpg so starts adjusting the range remaining accordingly.

Comment

The bong sound comes in about 80 miles for diesels?

Comment

To quote in £’s is pointless, how many litres did you put in, from that, if your not filling it right up, will give a chance at working out MPG

Comment

For those who would like to calculate true mpg but aren't sure how:

First fill up....
          Note car mileage.
          Fill fuel tank until pump shuts off when full.

Second fill up.....
          Note car mileage.
          Fill fuel tank until pump shuts off.
          Note how many litres of fuel were put into car.

Divide litres by 4.545 to get gallons.

Divide distance travelled since first fill up by the number of gallons to fill tank on second fill-up.
          That's your mpg.

Example from my wife's car last year:
          Mileage at first fill-up: 8179
          Mileage at second fill-up: 8432
          Fuel to fill tank at second fill-up: 27.06 litres.

27.06 litres divided by 4.545 = 5.95 gallons.

8432 - 8179 = 253 miles travelled since previous fill up.

253 miles / 5.95 gallons = 42.5mpg.

Trip computer (which was reset immediately after first fill-up) said 45.7mpg so it exaggerated by 7.5%.

Comment

Sorry fellas, forgot to mention that it settled in after driving, dash read out figures changed to what I expected. Its just that I never let my car run low on fuel, the incident was a one off.. Its now running at 35 mpg round town, and 50+ on motorway...

Comment

Working...
            X