'New car' and low oil warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'New car' and low oil warning

Just bought a 2016 2.0 170 Auto Insignia tonight from a reputable car supermarket. Car has been serviced according to them.
    I'm 2 miles away from the garage and get a low oil warning so I pulled over. Firstly I needed all my strength and had to twist the dipstick round and round until it finally gave way and came out and it looked dry (read the rest of this post) so I rang the dealers.
    They advised my to put a litre of 5W40 in it and bring it back in the morning. So £15 later and having put the oil in I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and head off again. About a mile in I get the warning again so I head home (about another mile)

I let the car cool down for an hour and went to check the level again, had the same problem removing the dipstick and when I took a closer look it seems the end is missing off the dipstick, there's no MIN/MAX on it ? Can someone confirm that there should be a MIN/MAX part as I've never had a car without one. Now I'm worried that it could have a knackered oil level sensor, and that there is now a litre too much oil in it and worse still a bit of dipstick floating round the engine !!
    Not sure how to approach the dealer on this one, any advice please ?
    2016 Elite 2.0 Auto (170) with mind of it's own

Has it got a grey bottom with segments on it?
    Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
    Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Similar to this:
      Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

No, just looks like a tightly coiled stick of metal with that bit missing.

Comment

Take it back,get them to order a new dipstick and tube and do an oil and filter change,as for the end of the original,may be either in the tube or in the sump.The only way though to be sure is for sump removal for piece of mind.

Comment

Will do thanks, didn’t know the tube was replaceable. Still worried about the oil low light though, surely they put oil in it when they serviced it ! I suppose I’ll find out later this week.

Comment

Hope it goes well,keep us posted on what happens.

Comment

Took it in for 9.00 this morning, the after sales guy said he was disgusted with the state of the car and sent it off for priority repair. At 16.00 they were still investigating .... I’m not overly confident and hope it ends up at a main dealer but I’ll keep posting.

Comment

Let's hope it gets sorted fast.

Comment

A lot of dealers - even main dealers - don't service (oil, filters etc) a trade-in car unless it's 20k/1yr since last serviced.

They just give it a wash, hoover and touch-up any paint chips.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
                      A lot of dealers - even main dealers - don't service (oil, filters etc) a trade-in car unless it's 20k/1yr since last serviced.

They just give it a wash, hoover and touch-up any paint chips.
                      And just re-set the oil service warning!

Comment

Main dealers are called main stealers for a reason .
                        I don't trust them, and only take what they say with a pinch of salt.

Some people think they are owned by the manufacturers, they are in fact not. They are an independent business with a license to sell the specific branded cars.

Comment

Does anyone know would my 2012 ( pre facelift ) 6 speed manual insignia have the cut outs from gearbox to get at sump bolts 2.0 cdti

Comment

Well it took 3 weeks in the end to sort, new oil level sensor, new gasket for the coolant somewhere and they replaced the battery ?? Anyway all sorted on the repairs front at least. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Spoke too soon - oil drops on my drive, coming from the sump seal. Really losing my patience with this now. I'm not one for compensation but I think it'll be fully valeted when I have it back this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X