Android head unit questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android head unit questions.

I'm sure I've seen on here a full screen Android system, replacing near enough the whole dash, including the climate control.
    I can't see it anywhere now, anyone know where I can get one.

There's a **** load on here,,don't know what the differences are though

​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

This is the one I have pal. Its designed to replace the factory navi

If yours don't have a navi you will have alot more choices

Comment

Sriray, how did you get on with all the updates etc after.
        Sat nav, work OK ??
        Give me some info.

Comment

For a start with cheap android/windows ce units the radio don't work. I had this issue on both vectra and insignia.
          Only some satnav apps work with the unit, some may crash, 'Here' crashes, Tom Tom sat nav app map design looks outdated + not designed for such a big screen. I'm currently using 'Sygic gps offline navigation' this is the one i find that works with the unit so far. The others may work but the if you want to play music and have sat nav at the same time the music won't work after voice guidance.

Communication with the seller is pretty awful, not only i think there is a language barrier but they are a bit thick. They understand eventually but still don't understand why you are asking

This is their latest version running a slightly better interface and has a 4G sim slot, and also 8-core processor??

Comment

If you want something that works straight out the box, this is not for you as it requires tweaking to make it work easier.
            If you like a challenge then go ahead with the purchase.

Comment

Just had a quick look at some and they say they don't support ones with sport button and ones with the buttons by gear stick.
              I don't have sport button but o do have the buttons.
              Does it mean the buttons won't work or their system won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by MJSROOFING View Post
                Just had a quick look at some and they say they don't support ones with sport button and ones with the buttons by gear stick.
                I don't have sport button but o do have the buttons.
                Does it mean the buttons won't work or their system won't work.
                I have both of those. Their english is bad.
                The factory centre nav buttons won't work with the android unit fact. You have use the screen to change the navigation stuff and use your own nav software as it doesn't come with any.
                For USB input you need to use there cable.

Comment

Even though I think I could probably sort the issues the same as you have, I can't justify spending that money and time to not gain much.
                  Think I'll wait for them to get a little better.

Comment

Sriray, I'd be interested in seeing yours working,
                    My issues are radio and satnav.
                    Also what about the configuration button and steering buttons.

Comment

Sriray, I'd be interested in seeing yours working,
                      My issues are radio and satnav.
                      Also what about the configuration button and steering buttons.
                      For radio you can buy a mifi router or tether from your phone to use internet radio as an alternative or get the 4g model then put a data sim card in. Sat nav depends which app works with it, so far i only like sygic gps that looks ok and works, the route is not the best, but i'm still trying out this app.
                      The configuration menu is still accessible. Steering wheel controls works fully no issues.
                      I have to get you a video of it working.
                      What you gain from having this android unit is a full size tablet screen, video playback, video aux playback, reverse camera input, aftermarket android tpms (optional), onscreen torque pro, ability to have more than 1000 songs, music player app of your choice and plus many extras all depends if the apps work with the unit.

Comment

what about the configuration button and steering buttons.
                        Here is the config options

Comment

I fitted one of these, admittedly not a Tesla style one, about a year ago. Bought from a UK seller thankfully as it went back to them eventually.
                          Took 3 weeks to sus that all instructions related to a LHD vehicle, e.g. connectors behind glove box when in fact for the UK they are behind the steering wheel lower cover, all you had to do was take out the storage compartment below the steering wheel. Eventually got it fitted but the radio was crap, only medium and FM, took about 30 seconds to boot and a further minute to get fully functional, always baffled me, its a tablet, why isn't it there immediately. I was told it would be too much of a drain on the battery which is utter bullshit unless you are leaving the vehicle for 6 months or so.
                          When it got below freezing the pre-sets would drop out. I never got it to respond to the steering wheel controls. I could not get any sense at all from either the manufacturer or the UK distributor, who didn't know it was designed for LHD vehicles, one result of which was that the passenger air bag switch would have to be replaced with a LHD switch and the wiring would have to be extended.
                          I am a big Android fan but the interface was slow and cumbersome and poorly designed. The processor was a dual core running at around 1.5 Ghz with 2 Gb ram so it was always going to be slow.
                          I put back the original head unit in the end. These units look the dogs, and I really wanted the functionality they offered, but in the end. they don't deliver. I may bean old fart, but having tried a unit, I am more than happy with the infotainment system as installed, I will take function over design any day, but I did have to scratch that itch and I am wiser for the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Ianmac52 View Post
                            I fitted one of these, admittedly not a Tesla style one, about a year ago. Bought from a UK seller thankfully as it went back to them eventually.
                            Took 3 weeks to sus that all instructions related to a LHD vehicle, e.g. connectors behind glove box when in fact for the UK they are behind the steering wheel lower cover, all you had to do was take out the storage compartment below the steering wheel. Eventually got it fitted but the radio was crap, only medium and FM, took about 30 seconds to boot and a further minute to get fully functional, always baffled me, its a tablet, why isn't it there immediately. I was told it would be too much of a drain on the battery which is utter bullshit unless you are leaving the vehicle for 6 months or so.
                            When it got below freezing the pre-sets would drop out. I never got it to respond to the steering wheel controls. I could not get any sense at all from either the manufacturer or the UK distributor, who didn't know it was designed for LHD vehicles, one result of which was that the passenger air bag switch would have to be replaced with a LHD switch and the wiring would have to be extended.
                            I am a big Android fan but the interface was slow and cumbersome and poorly designed. The processor was a dual core running at around 1.5 Ghz with 2 Gb ram so it was always going to be slow.
                            I put back the original head unit in the end. These units look the dogs, and I really wanted the functionality they offered, but in the end. they don't deliver. I may bean old fart, but having tried a unit, I am more than happy with the infotainment system as installed, I will take function over design any day, but I did have to scratch that itch and I am wiser for the experience.
                            It does drain battery I have experienced this. Would be nice if they have a on-board battery and we can keep that charged when engine is running and then it keeps the tablet in a standby state when car is off.

Comment

Originally posted by sriray View Post
                              It does drain battery I have experienced this. Would be nice if they have a on-board battery and we can keep that charged when engine is running and then it keeps the tablet in a standby state when car is off.
                              I stand corrected with respect to battery drain, but then it is either on or off, no stand by mode, I was meaning stand by mode drain. A tablet battery is around 15 Wh and would probably last a few hours whilst driving and a week or so on stand by.
                              As you say, the standard tablet format with standby battery should be the default system for replacement head units and would remove the delay at start up. Not rocket science, the only reason can be cost saving but I would pay another £40 or so to get this enhanced user experience.
                              Does anyone know if the Tesla system is instant on, I would bet it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X