2009 2.0 CDTI EcoFlex - rough idle on cold start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks,

Did you also get a horrible smell of diesel on cold idle when you were stationary for a few minutes prior to setting off?

I’m getting the rpm needle jumping about and rough idle but I can’t see any mention on the thread about any diesel smell!

Comment

Well I didn't smell diesel initially but having driven the car I have now noticed that I have a fuel leak!!!
      At first I thought it was coming from the new fuel pressure regulator however I've placed paper towel under it and it remains dry so can't be that and can't see any fuel leaking down. I suppose it could have been leaking before from somewhere as I've not really checked and only checked after a drive.

Having a look under the car it also seems to be leaking a bit further back - I suppose from about from where the dashboard is in the middle (but under the car). Of course fuel could be running down from somewhere else.

Any ideas!? My usual garage can't fit me in until Thursday at the earliest.

Chris

Comment

Hi did you flush out the fuel system to remove any air after changing the pressure regulation valve??

Comment

HI there,

I didn't flush out the fuel system, just removed and replaced. I thought it had solved my problem completely however it hasn't!
          My fuel leak wasn't a fuel leak either- It was a small oil leak from my filter housing - now sorted!

Comment

Any luck with sorting your cold rough idle?

Comment

Originally posted by blade954 View Post
              HI Paul,
              Yes the fuel pressure regulator.

Hope it fixes your problem.
              Is this the fuel pump regulator or rail pressure sensor?
              That fuel pressure regulator didnt fix it for me, seems to work for a couple of days then returns, everyone says its normal, I say it didnt do it when new. Might try rail pressure sensor although you have to teach the fuel pressure regulator once replaced apparently, dont know if they did that.

Comment

I have changed Fuel Pressure Regulator which worked fo around 2 days, MAF sensor (did nothing) and MAP sensor which worked for around 1 week. In addition had a carbon clean..I am still having rough cold idle with Rev needle jumping up and down and car shaking! I think it may be fuel related! Any ideas anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul47 View Post
                  I have changed Fuel Pressure Regulator which worked fo around 2 days, MAF sensor (did nothing) and MAP sensor which worked for around 1 week. In addition had a carbon clean..I am still having rough cold idle with Rev needle jumping up and down and car shaking! I think it may be fuel related! Any ideas anyone?
                  Only thing left is the fuel rail pressure sensor, I guy on YT show's how to change it but didn't say why, I wouldn't change fuel pump regulator unless it was failing to do regenerations and going into limp mode when flooring it.

Comment

Did you change the glow plugs after ? Or test them.
                    Last edited by MJSROOFING; 18-11-2019, 06:56 PM. Reason: Left a bit out lol

Comment

I changed the MAP, I cleaned the MAF, I changed DMF that was damaged, I tested injectors, I also changed the fuel regulator, I cleaned the EGR and I changed the colant temperature sensor, nothing solved ... I notice that when the outside temperature is more Cold does not happen. And when the outside temperature is higher the injection gets rough and the car has no load on it ... I notice that my boost control valve makes noise can it be responsible? It measured its resistance and was at 15.5ohm .. No error codes in the ECU. Is it software problems ??

Comment

Something to check

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                        I changed the MAP, I cleaned the MAF, I changed DMF that was damaged, I tested injectors, I also changed the fuel regulator, I cleaned the EGR and I changed the colant temperature sensor, nothing solved ... I notice that when the outside temperature is more Cold does not happen. And when the outside temperature is higher the injection gets rough and the car has no load on it ... I notice that my boost control valve makes noise can it be responsible? It measured its resistance and was at 15.5ohm .. No error codes in the ECU. Is it software problems ??
                        Can someone check the oil level on their car, mine has overfilled due to the amount of regens it's done, mainly 8 cold starts without actually reaching temperature. I extracted the extra oil and it's running like a different car. Too soon to say if it's fixed the idle issue, apparently with diesels it gets sucked up breather pipes. Will report back Monday after I take down the motorway on Sunday. That's why they say don't get car with dpf and drive round town.

Comment

Have you changed the oil and filter--or just took out some oil,if so you need to change the oil and filter and put new in,otherwise you will be running an engine with diluted oil and this will not do the engine any good at all----plus you need to get it out for a good run and if its not done a regen because of short trips and not getting up to working temp then again you are just going to be going round in circles and you might want to do a forced regen to get the DPF cleaned out.Have you got a LED fitted to tell you when the car is doing a regen--its a very good mod to do.Perhaps you should get a petrol engine car for doing just short trips but even then it will cause you problems in the future--where abouts are you in the UK--Dave

Comment

Will

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
                            Have you changed the oil and filter--or just took out some oil,if so you need to change the oil and filter and put new in,otherwise you will be running an engine with diluted oil and this will not do the engine any good at all----plus you need to get it out for a good run and if its not done a regen because of short trips and not getting up to working temp then again you are just going to be going round in circles and you might want to do a forced regen to get the DPF cleaned out.Have you got a LED fitted to tell you when the car is doing a regen--its a very good mod to do.Perhaps you should get a petrol engine car for doing just short trips but even then it will cause you problems in the future--where abouts are you in the UK--Dave
                            Need to get garage for dexos 2 maybe tomorrow
                            It did a regen soon after taking the extra oil out, it still has 50% life obviously that want ignoring

Comment

And don't forget the oil filter as that will be contaminated too - - - Dave

Comment

Diesel

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
                                And don't forget the oil filter as that will be contaminated too - - - Dave
                                Don't know how much damage diesel will do to filter but not great.

Comment

Working...
                                X