Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cured

Originally posted by james1089 View Post
    Don't know how much damage diesel will do to filter but not great.
    And this morning no bouncing revs, I solved the problem for everyone. With the help of one jaguar driver who said he sold because of filling the oil up with diesel and a guy at the petrol station with Astra, he said it's my 3rd one when I get the uneven idle I boot it down the motorway and it goes for a few days.
    Last edited by james1089; 24-11-2019, 10:07 AM. Reason: Add info

Comment

Uncover the truth behind 'Max' oil levels in modern engines. Learn the risks of overfilling and the impact on diesel particulate filters...

Comment

so are you telling me you never got rough idle again after checking the engine oil level ?? My god I'm silly ...

Comment

Low fuel

Originally posted by Marco View Post
          so are you telling me you never got rough idle again after checking the engine oil level ?? My god I'm silly ...
          Well it's been a week no rough idle no smell of fumes, if you notice you're car ticking over at 950 revs it's doing a regen, start stop will not work if you need confirmation. If you switch your car off before the revs drop back down to 850 the next time you start it there will be more diesel squirted into the oil, my wife does 8 cold starts aday, probably never completed a regen so oil level rises. At this point the car will refuse to do a regen, slowly clogging the dpf with symptoms of up and down idle. It's no coincidence that the day I dropped the oil a bit it did a regen. Got some fresh oil and a New filter now, I won't be filling to the maximum level.
          If you're fuel light is on it's another reason not to regen.
          Last edited by james1089; 26-11-2019, 07:08 PM. Reason: Add info

Comment

One more thing, if you're oil looks clear and you didn't change it 10 minutes ago you need to change it

Comment

One more thing, if you're oil looks clear and you didn't change it 10 minutes ago you need to change it
              Unless you used clear oil by mistake. 90% of oil used in pumps and gearboxes is now clear!

Or you arw short of money and used water .

Having said that quite a few pumps now use a mixture of glyco and water instead of oil.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
              Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                Unless you used clear oil by mistake. 90% of oil used in pumps and gearboxes is now clear!

Or you arw short of money and used water .

Having said that quite a few pumps now use a mixture of glyco and water instead of oil.
                Still should be black after a couple of miles, not you're gearbox tho

Comment

Still should be black after a couple of miles, not you're gearbox tho
                  How do you work that out----the oil in mine isn't black---even after having my oil seal done a few weeks ago----Dave

Comment

Comment

No disrespect, but that video not directly related to the topic you started or remedies you suggested.

I think any self respecting diesel owner is aware of regens and oil changes, and where regens are present most people know and monitor if they are completing or not.

Giving any car petrol or diesel a good boot down the motorway does the engine good, especially if the car is only used on short runs. Even back in the day of my 1985 XR2 a 15 minute blast cleared any cobwebs away to speak .

I'm pleased you found a solution to your issue, and hope it may help others in some sort of way.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                      Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                        No disrespect, but that video not directly related to the topic you started or remedies you suggested.

I think any self respecting diesel owner is aware of regens and oil changes, and where regens are present most people know and monitor if they are completing or not.

Giving any car petrol or diesel a good boot down the motorway does the engine good, especially if the car is only used on short runs. Even back in the day of my 1985 XR2 a 15 minute blast cleared any cobwebs away to speak .

I'm pleased you found a solution to your issue, and hope it may help others in some sort of way.
                        Don't know about that, rising oil level will stop regens from taking place, the only way for oil levels to rise is diesel, I didn't start the topic btw

Comment

I still haven’t got to the bottom of this annoying rev counter jumping up and down on cold idle? Any more ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul47 View Post
                            I still haven’t got to the bottom of this annoying rev counter jumping up and down on cold idle? Any more ideas?
                            Have you done a thorough search????

Comment

I had this once with a petrol Cavalier many years ago. It was a split in the air intake hose between airbox and intake manifold. Took me a while to find it but the extra unmeasured air getting in was causing the rough (hunting up and down) idle. Thre are twice as many hoses to check on a turbo diesel, but I would definitely check them carefully.

Comment

Well it's been a week no rough idle no smell of fumes, if you notice you're car ticking over at 950 revs it's doing a regen, start stop will not work if you need confirmation. If you switch your car off before the revs drop back down to 850 the next time you start it there will be more diesel squirted into the oil, my wife does 8 cold starts aday, probably never completed a regen so oil level rises. At this point the car will refuse to do a regen, slowly clogging the dpf with symptoms of up and down idle. It's no coincidence that the day I dropped the oil a bit it did a regen. Got some fresh oil and a New filter now, I won't be filling to the maximum level.
                                If you're fuel light is on it's another reason not to regen.
                                How can it squirt diesel into the oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X