Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Question

Hi Guys When I check my car battery with multimeter it reads about 12.4 Volts. If I remove the earth clamp and check again it reads about 12.7 Volts. Replace the earth clamp and it again reads 12.4 Volts. Is this normal, if so why ?

Could be because the ecu’s and bcm’s have not completely shut down. Try leaving the car for 30 mins or so without locking or unlocking as this will start them working again as soon as you unlock the car. Then test the voltage again. HTH.
    LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

When your battery is connected there is always something running in the background, clock, alarm, feeds to fusebox etc,
      sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

Check it with engine running , should be 14+v
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

With Engine running, getting a reading of 14.7 Volts so alternator seems ok. Will try will try Witty,s suggestion leaving it for 30 minutes. Regards to all

Comment

What are you trying to find out? Battery voltage will always drop when connected compared to disconnected. If you have a drain on the battery connect an ammeter between earth terminal on battery and the earth lead, this will show how many amps are being used. If all ok it should read around 0.1/0.2 milliamps. Anything over 0.5 amps will drain it pretty quickly
            sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
              Check it with engine running , should be 14+v
              I've been told that anyone has start/stop has an intelligent alternator and only needs to be 14v when needed otherwise it will drop below that to save fuel.

With the new cluster I have it shows me the battery at 12.9 most times when driving at 70mph. But when I start braking it goes up to 14.5v

Mine has had a new battery not long ago aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewish View Post
                I've been told that anyone has start/stop has an intelligent alternator and only needs to be 14v when needed otherwise it will drop below that to save fuel.

With the new cluster I have it shows me the battery at 12.9 most times when driving at 70mph. But when I start braking it goes up to 14.5v

Mine has had a new battery not long ago aswell.
                Will check mine,,it sits at 14.5v on tickover,,not noticed when driving what it reads
                ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                  Will check mine,,it sits at 14.5v on tickover,,not noticed when driving what it reads
                  Maybe I have a faulty alternator haha

Comment

Working...
                  X