Repairing AFL DRLs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing AFL DRLs

As you may know the drls on afls cannot be replaced easily. This has been on my to do list for the past year but after my son was born I've not had much time to be on here and to modify bits on the car. Well he's 14 months old now and walking about so we decided we were going to work on this together (me work, son supervising)

To split the headlight was much easier than expected. You will need a hot air gun. Flat head screw driver. Two hooks. Someone to help is a bonus.

Remove the staples around the headlights
    Heat the seal closest to the cornering lamps first and work outwards in a C shape
    I had my hot air gun set to max. Its a 1600W model
    Once the half closest to the corner lamp is heated pry the lens and housing apart using the screwdrivers. Heat and repeat until you get enough of a gap to get the hooks of your fingers in
    Wear gloves. Hot sealant with stick to your skin and burn
    This is where a second person is helpful. One person pulls the lens and housing apart from the cornering lamp side while the other heats rest of the seal towards the drl. As the seal softens the two pieces will come apart

I will edit this post and add the next steps as i do them. The leds were burnt out so i ordered some more 5630 smd leds

Are they the replicas Mo ?
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
      Are they the replicas Mo ?
      Yep but the drl units are the same as the real ones
      At first I thought the pcb which steps up the voltage for the drls was dead but I swapped it to the other side and it was fine. Then I looked at the pcb which holds the leds and two were dead. It uses 5630 smds. 12 in each headlight. They are configured as 6s2p so if a single bulb goes the rest won't work

Comment

Soldered the new bulbs on and powered them up on a 3s lipo. Everything working again. Time to put it all back together? Or do i make a few mods?

Comment

It's really easy to split headlights.
          I've repaired a few of mine on other cars.
          It's easier to place in a box with a hair dryer poked through a hole in the side and leave for 10mins or so, remove headlight and it peels apart real easy refit do the exact same leave in box then push 2 parts together.

I've been looking at changing my headlights are these the 2xcite ones?

I missed a set of OEM xenons from an elite on eBay the other day which were very cheap but from what I had read are a pita to fit.

What mods did you have in mind for the lights? Halo rings?

Comment

older headlights that use butyl rubber as easy to split, permaseal sets like concrete so that's why i needed constant high heat applied by a second person while i pulled the headlight apart

no these are not the 2xite ones, these are the AFL replicas, they use the hella branded housings and leds and all that, but replace the fancy dancing projectors with fixed d2s projectors so they work as a replacement for the halogen lamps

OEM xenons (AFLs) will not fit in place of a halogen lamp as those cars do not have the modules to control them, the projectors need replacing to make them work.

not a fan of halo rings these days, much prefer the led strips
            was thinking of replacing the projectors for some morimoto mini d2s 4.0, one of their resellers (EMtuning) is local to me so i can just go and collect in person, but i don't fancy spending a small fortune on them

but will be adding some led high beams into the cluster for that "instant on"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wullie View Post
              It's easier to place in a box with a hair dryer poked through a hole in the side and leave for 10mins or so, remove headlight and it peels apart real easy refit do the exact same leave in box then push 2 parts together.

I missed a set of OEM xenons from an elite on eBay the other day which were very cheap but from what I had read are a pita to fit.

Can be converted to work on a non AFL car,but about 300 quid for the necessary work,,had a set on old car
              ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                Can be converted to work on a non AFL car,but about 300 quid for the necessary work,,had a set on old car
                The labour cost involved is huge. Thats why i decided to do it myself. Headlights all back together. Didnt bother doing anything fancy to them. Did a test run and all lights are working. Just need to polish the clear plastic as the film is peeling. Going to wet sand and clear coat then a week later give them a polish. The uv resistant clear coat should stop the plastic hazing up again

Comment

I’ve had a set of hella gen5 projectors fitted to my headlights. Used your recommendation of EM tuning to do the work after the struggle I had getting my original permasealed lights apart. If you can upgrade to them I’d recommend it. They are awesome units. I light up the road ahead for miles now and the cut off is really sharp with loads of colour in it.

Comment

Got no money atm to spend on new projectors but I did some some nice new osram d2s cbi in the post this morning and some led h7 for the high beam. not a fan of led bulbs in reflectors for dipped beams due to glare and crap beam pattern but they are fine for high beams
                    the old osram d2s nb were great but after a few thousand hours of hard work (at 55w) the light output has dropped
                    55w will greatly reduce the life of xenon bulbs but well worth it in my opinion

Comment

If your looking to change your lights and don’t mind some repair work I have a set of AFL’s preface. That have been converted to work on a non AFL car.

They also have some modifications.

Angel eye as DRL and where DRL used to be I have a sweeping indicator.
                      Unfortunately still a problem on passenger headlight. Been told by company who did other work needs a new projector at £90.

I have spent over £300 on these lights and that doesn’t even include the price for the lights.

I have given up now though and managed to get exclusiv. Old lights that were basically brand new.

If your interested let me know
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pondy81 View Post
                        If your looking to change your lights and don’t mind some repair work I have a set of AFL’s preface. That have been converted to work on a non AFL car.

They also have some modifications.

Angel eye as DRL and where DRL used to be I have a sweeping indicator.
                        Unfortunately still a problem on passenger headlight. Been told by company who did other work needs a new projector at £90.

I have spent over £300 on these lights and that doesn’t even include the price for the lights.

I have given up now though and managed to get exclusiv. Old lights that were basically brand new.

If your interested let me know

Sounds interesting any pictures or idea on price.
                        Feel free to pm if preferred.

I have been looking to change my lights for something different.

Comment

Sounds interesting any pictures or idea on price.
                          Feel free to pm if preferred.

I have been looking to change my lights for something different.

1st pic is just DRL.

2nd pic is high beam but passenger headlight it won’t come on due to projector problem.

Did have a video of the sweeping indicator but can’t locate it now.

After £100 for them.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X