Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight restoration

You may have seen many ways to restore headlights
    The best way in my opinion is to wet sand with 800grit to remove the yellow haze and any crap
    Wipe down with alcohol wipes
    Your headlight should look like this

Then spray with a good quality lacquer following the instructions provided with the lacquer
    Im using a 2k lacquer for a better finish

After a single coat your headlight should look like this

Applied a couple more coats

Once its fully dry (in a few days) i will be wet sanding it again and 2 stage polish to get it clear/smooth as glass and no orange peel

Nice job there

Comment

Originally posted by Unilateral View Post
      Nice job there
      Cheers Karl. I'm getting impatient though with the drying. Want these back on the car. It's taken about a year for me to get round to repairing these

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_miah View Post
        You may have seen many ways to restore headlights
        The best way in my opinion is to wet sand with 800grit to remove the yellow haze and any crap
        Wipe down with alcohol wipes
        Your headlight should look like this

Then spray with a good quality lacquer following the instructions provided with the lacquer
        Im using a 2k lacquer for a better finish

After a single coat your headlight should look like this

Applied a couple more coats

Once its fully dry (in a few days) i will be wet sanding it again and 2 stage polish to get it clear/smooth as glass and no orange peel
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Like new! I hate seeing cars driving around with dull light covers.
          2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Would love to quit my day job and open a car garage/detailing/mod shop, but people don't seem to modify cars as much as they used to

Once i get the AFL reps back in the car i might modify the halogen lamps i have on the car at the moment with some mini h1 projectors and led drls/indicators and put them up for sale

Comment

Used one of the kits you can buy to restore headlights, needed for my previous Vec as the lenses we shocking. Before they felt almost rough to touch, but after smooth as glass. Roughly 20 mins each side. 3 levels of wet & dry, 2000 grit, 3000 grit, 5000 grit, then polish compound and finally lens UV protector/sealer. Here's the before & after (different sides but both looked the same before starting)
              BEFORE:
              2017-01-28 (1) by Jonese _, on Flickr
              AFTER:
              2017-01-28 (2) by Jonese _, on Flickr

Comment

Makes the car look new when the headlight lenses sparkle like that.
                2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

I'm surprised more people don't do that, it really does make a huge difference to the look of the car
                  When a car is clean and looks good makes you feel better about driving it

Comment

Been a few days and the lacquer has dried so wet sanded them with 1500-2000-2500 grit paper. Then polished with megs 105/205 combo with Das 6 pro da polisher
                    Heres the final result

The lacquer feels so smooth and no orange peel. The lacquer is uv resistant so should stop them going hazy again

Comment

Working...
                    X