Grand Sport wheel shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Sport wheel shocker!

Had a customer with a hired GS come in with a puncture today. The wheel was a bit rough, looked like it had scraped the kerbs a few times, and when we took the wheel off the inner rim was cracked (Wasn't him allegedly). Wheel was a 20" 5-double spoke bi-colour so phoned dealer for price and availability.....£410 inc vat and a 2 day wait, guy nearly fell through the floor!
    To cheer him up I said chances are he would probably need a tyre as well (another £100+) but with a bit of luck the tpms valve should swap over...thought he was going to cry.

Asked him if he was insured and luckily he had taken out full cover so will only cost him a wasted day swapping hire cars over tomorrow.Shocking price for one wheel tho!
    sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Thats not to bad I had to get a new one for my mercedes ML £750 + £240 for a tyre, thats why I now drive a Vauxhall

Comment

Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
      Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Feckin hell. Just checked, €495 here over the water for the same wheel, so were not being fleeced too badly. €569 for the old 20" twin spoke on the Insignia 'A'. Nuts. Sorry that doesn't include the nuts, or the cap.

Comment

One thing that has held me back from even test-driving an Insignia B is the oversize alloys on the top spec models (Elite 2.0T and Bi-Turbo).
          The 20" rims only have 8.5cm or rubber between rim and road whereas my current Insignia A Elite 2.8 has 11cm.
          It's all very well Vauxhall boasting about how the new top-model Insignia B can zip round the Nurburgring quicker than the old one, but if we set up a race on average UK B-roads or lesser A-roads I wonder whether the Insignia B would even get to the end without a blowout.
          I recently sold my Swift Sport for that reason. I found that on many minor roads near me I had to drive it slower than my wife's Viva if I wanted to avoid pothole damage (had to fit two new tyres on the Swift not long ago due to pothole damage - luckily the rims were OK).

Comment

I bought cars for less than this

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
              One thing that has held me back from even test-driving an Insignia B is the oversize alloys on the top spec models (Elite 2.0T and Bi-Turbo).
              The 20" rims only have 8.5cm or rubber between rim and road whereas my current Insignia A Elite 2.8 has 11cm.
              It's all very well Vauxhall boasting about how the new top-model Insignia B can zip round the Nurburgring quicker than the old one, but if we set up a race on average UK B-roads or lesser A-roads I wonder whether the Insignia B would even get to the end without a blowout.
              I recently sold my Swift Sport for that reason. I found that on many minor roads near me I had to drive it slower than my wife's Viva if I wanted to avoid pothole damage (had to fit two new tyres on the Swift not long ago due to pothole damage - luckily the rims were OK).
              The ratio of width to height is, tyre width to height - from tyre bead to thread. The actual distance of the 20" 245/35 tyre fitted from edge of the rim to the road surface is nearer 5.5cm. Scary.

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
                The ratio of width to height is, tyre width to height - from tyre bead to thread. The actual distance of the 20" 245/35 tyre fitted from edge of the rim to the road surface is nearer 5.5cm. Scary.
                Yes, mid-tyre the best case scenario is 8.5cm. At the edges where the tyre is seated it could be considerably less.

My current Insignia A Elite Nav 2.8T (260) 4x4 auto has 245/45, giving a best-case of 11cm and worst-case of about 8cm if using your 3cm allowance. Potholes aren't much of a worry in my current car.

The current near-equivalent replacement for my car would be the Insignia B Elite Nav 2.0T (260) 4x4 auto which has 245/35 tyres, giving a best-case of 8.5cm and worst-case of 5.5cm.

My ex-Swift Sport had 195/45 tyres (best case 8.75cm) and they took numerous nasty hits which went all the way to the rim and ruined two tyres last winter.
                In fact, the impact sensor on the dashcam in the Swift Sport, even when on lowest sensitivity setting, would feel a jolt hard enough to think it was an accident about once for every two hours of driving, yet the same cam in other cars never once thought it had been in a collision.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the low profile tyres, they look better but not practical on the roads up here. You would have to drive like your granny to stop them getting dinged in all the pot holes.
                  I'll stick with my 18's thank you
                  sigpic WOW Nice Car !!

Comment

I think I've said it before somewhere on the forum but my son's brother in law works in a wheel place and he said its unbelievable how many 20" wheels they get in for general refurbs (like a freshen up or new colour) and once they've had the acid bath to get the old pain off, how many hidden cracks they have that the paint was hiding. In my opinion they're just not worth the risk. They look good but you can't beat more rubber and air between the wheel and the tarmac on our potholed riddled roads.
                    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Working...
                    X