Electrical Fault, loss of most electrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Fault, loss of most electrics

I’ve not long had my 09 insignia 1.8 Sri, the aux socket in my armrest wasn’t working so I removed the socket. I had the ignition on with the radio on thinking (if I can wiggle the connected maybe it will start to work) which it did for a split second, then the interior lights in the back started flickering then everything went off, I removed the key then tried to turn on the ignition again but nothing worked. Now the drivers side window is down and I’ve had to tape plastic over the window because it’s started to rain and it’s gone dark and I can’t get it to work,

I’ve tried unplugging the battery for 20 mins, removing all the fuses and putting them back in and still it’s mostly broke. When I put the key in, the hazard switch light illuminates and so does the window switch lights but everything else is gone, when I turn the ignition to the second point the airbag lights flash on and off quickly and nothing more.

I’m not sure where to go from here, any ideas?

Have you checked the battery hasn’t given up? Get a battery tester onto the battery mate or try giving it a jump off another car

Comment

Could jumping it work? There’s no lights at all on the dial part of the dash, the remote and central locking doesn’t work either. I didn’t think it could be a drained battery because it was working one minute and then gone the next. To make matters worse the strut to hold the bonnet has gone

Comment

It’s worth a go mate sounds like the battery has dropped it’s A55 to me thought mate they can just die at the drop of a hat

Comment

My suggestion would be to get a new battery, sounds like your existing one has died! I had similar problems with an AA battery which replaced the original, not to mention it was too tall for the battery compartment! After faffing around for months, swearing at the car on many occasions & investing in a mobile jump starter, I got a new Duracell battery & I've had no problems since, plus it fits the battery compartment perfectly!

Comment

So it turned out that I didn’t disconnect the battery correctly, I only detached the negative and should have detached both terminals, that must have reset it and I have everything back. I was told by a helpful auto electrician that it went into some sort of security lockdown and disconnecting the battery resets it. So in the future I will remember to have the ignition off and the battery disconnected when I’m messing with the wiring.

Thanks to everyone trying to help.

Comment

So went to the car later in the day and the battery was dead, I think something has been draining it, charged it up and disconnected the aux/rear12v cable harness which I believe to be the culprit, now waiting to see if I was right. Failing that I’m going to charge it up and take it to Halfords to see if they can test the battery

Comment

24 hours later and car is still ok, the little harness must have been faulty

Comment

glad you sorted it
                  Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
                  Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

You should still check change rate and voltage drop at Halfords.
                    Originally posted by andy.alias View Post
                    24 hours later and car is still ok, the little harness must have been faulty
                    Always strive to do better. If a job needs doing don't ask do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X