Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maintaining the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)

I was a little apprehensive when I bought my 2 litre diesel Insignia as I knew that my usual mileage was not up to maintaining the DPF in good condition. I previously had a Zafira and although this too was a diesel, it was prior to DPF's so I did not have that worry.

So now I have this car I keep an eye out for the warning light on the dash (what's it like?!) that will tell me either that it is overdue cleaning or cleaning is happening right now. I've only done a few hundred miles so far with no noticable reduction in performance and no warning light. I do make sure that I do a 60 - 70 mph run for at least 20 - 30 minutes every week.

Am I worrying too much? Can someone tell me what to expect please.
    Always strive to do better. If a job needs doing don't ask do it.

Thats good enough as long as your revs above 2k for a good run

Comment

There is no warning light when it's doing a regen, it just happen without notification. One sign it is happening is that your car starts using diesel as if it was a petrol engine, mileage drops significant.

Comment

another sign is,itll tick over just under 1000rpm and it wont cut out under stop/start conditions , if youre unsure you can add a led into the heated mirror circuit,mounting it in the drivers side tweeter speaker,itll illuminate duing a regen so you dont switch off mid regen,,OR if you switch to the top consumers menu you might get rear defrost showing as turned on without the button actually depressed
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I usually spot it by sound. You'll notice it, when You're getting used to the sounds of Your car.

Comment

In my Focus I notice it by sound too! Just wish the car sounded like that all the time haha

Comment

Use a good quality low ash engine oil, I use Shell Helix AG, the soot when crap oil burns will cause permanent damage to the dpf
              Cold driving and lots of start/stop driving will fill the dpf quicker, your once a week motorway run should be ok

Don't worry to much about keeping the revs about 2k, when I'm cruising about to and from work my revs sit between idle and 1.5k, 120k miles later no dpf issues

Comment

Originally posted by Mo_miah View Post
                Don't worry to much about keeping the revs about 2k, when I'm cruising about to and from work my revs sit between idle and 1.5k, 120k miles later no dpf issues
                Indeed, my regen also works just fine at about 1500 rpm on the highway. No start-stop here though, because it's an A/T.

Comment

In over a years ownership have only known that a regen was occurring was when a message was shown on the dash warning not to turn the engine off as a regen was happening. This was a quick pop to the shops to get something prior to a 900 mile drive the next day so drove for about 10 miles before the message disappeared.

Comment

Mine regens every 10 days or so on the journey to work.
                    If your capable fit the LED light in the speaker so you know when it's doing a regen.
                    I've never had the warning on the dash come on.

Comment

Working...
                    X