Any Insignia detailing tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Insignia detailing tips

Well after 3 1/2 years of having Diamond Brite on the Astra J, the Insignia will have whatever i put on it, refused the Williams stuff as i know car wouldn't be preped correctly.

I know il have some paint correction to do, car don't look that bad but until i get my hands on it il not know for sure.
    So any tips to help me get car to standard i want?
    I dont mind time, love making cars look good, usually hand polish then wax etc, not brace enough to us proper power tools. Do have a small buffer for when i need it.

1. Interior - Don't do shiny high gloss products, like it clean and matt.
    2. Wheels - tried loads of stuff, still think warm soapy water and a brush is as good as anything.
    3. Polish - Normally good old standard T Cut, never needed to on Astra, coating worked as described.
    4. Wax - tried various over the years. Only ever glossed over Astra with quick shine silicone products after wash and dry.
    5. Windows - bane of my life, i hate doing them, nothing works....maybe its me????
    6. Trims, tyres etc - Tried various from cheap to outrageous, all look good for few hours then don't.
    7. Leather seats and trim - i don't have a clue to be honest, never had them before.

Any help appreciated as im rusty with products and every make of car has its own special way it needs to be cleaned.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Hi .....first throw the T-Cut away..... its the Devils potion .....will ruin, not fix. For reasonably priced products go with "Meguiars" ....proven and tested ........!

Comment

autoglym glass polish for glass,and meguiars tyre gel for tyres

2nd that about t-cut,, bin it
      ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

also the autoglym leather care products do a good job on seats,theres leather care,which cleans,then leather balm,which conditions it
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

clay bar it
          polish it (product of choice mine is autoglym)
          wax it ( i like autoglym hd and fuzzo ) however recently i tried a cheap spray wax from wilkinsons and the beading was awesome

Comment

Now.....don't laugh at this, but I've always used normal coconut milk conditioner for the leather seats and door panels in every car I've had leather in.
            It cleans, moisturizes and protects them.
            They buff up lovely and leaves a nice fragrance in the car.
            I've gave the leather in my Insignia a couple of coats since I installed them and they're coming up extremely well now.

Comment

Hmmmm searching internet for product, reading reviews etc.

Ok T-Cut gone, only ever used on old runabouts anyway )

Plan of action once i have car and time to complete is as follows;

Paintwork

1. Good wash and dry.
              2. Clay bar.
              3. Wash and dry.
              4. Polish using a Ryobi buffer.
              5. Hand wax.

Reading about cleansing products after claying - really necessary?

Was hoping to buy a full kit as a starting point, don't mind cost, was looking at Autoglym or a Meguiars kit. But noticed various other complete kits from people like carplan, astonish, Dodo etc. Not convinced with the Demon products, Astonish cheap and cheerful, but had some before and ok.

Car is black, was looking at this;

Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Looking at this to start, add a decent leather cleaner / protect

Seems a lot, but by time buy separate stuff it all adds up. Anyone used?

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't touch turtlewax

Comment

........You will need to work out what works for you ...............and your cars colour.........its a trial and error regime........i have tried a lot of different products and expensive products ........ Maguiars and Autoglym work for me.

Comment

Well think i am going to go for the Pure Definition Kit and their leather clean and protect kit. I like their presentation, they are actually quite local to me, and like how they have "How to use" documents available for free download. Also gain reward points for everything you buy to cash in against more products.
                      They also do forum discounts, so i mailed them for details.
                      I will give the stuff a go, way i see it, as you say a lot is trial and error.

Comment

Ok, they already got back to me, they are making a discount code tonight and will e mail it to me tomorrow.
                        IL be a Guinea pig and try most of the products. They are reasonable priced from what I have seen, just how good is to be found out.
                        IL not post discount code until someone gives me permission to, or if they want to etc.

Comment

I use sonax for the paint work and then I use cherry glaze.
                          Really make the red paint stand out.

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                            Ok, they already got back to me, they are making a discount code tonight and will e mail it to me tomorrow.
                            IL be a Guinea pig and try most of the products. They are reasonable priced from what I have seen, just how good is to be found out.
                            IL not post discount code until someone gives me permission to, or if they want to etc.
                            how much discount they giving you ?

Comment

Don't know as yet, can't imagine will be much. I have decided to give the starters kit a go, and their leather kit.
                              Yes £95 is a lot, but the amount of products in kit, even if half are any good i don't mind.
                              Saves me searching the web, sourcing, buying, collections or deliveries. All comes in one shot so to speak. I still have my Diamond Brite kit bag, will use that for the common stuff to keep in car, rest il find a place for in shed. If any good i can top up as and when required.
                              Once i have car will decide on route to take regarding which products i use first. Il do a full review when i can.
                              Even thou spent many an hour cleaning cars im no expert, so will go down the beginners route with these products.

Product instruction bottom of every product page for viewing or download
                              Last edited by MattG; 29-07-2018, 04:22 PM. Reason: Link

Comment

Working...
                              X