Known Overheat Engine Computer Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Known Overheat Engine Computer Bug

In May last year i purchased a 2013 reg Vauxhall Insignia, everything seemed fine until i ran into a major problem that made the car unusable until the on board computer was reset. I was told by the AA that this was a know problem with Vauxhall but was supposed to be fixed with a software updatem, which my car has. This malfunction has happened twice now. My garage has told me to keep driving until it fails and have it brought in with the issue or give it to them to drive about and try an fail... I have written a letter to Vauxhall which i wll paste below as i feel this is a terrible and unfair suggestion, i can't trust the car. I was wondering if anyone else had had this problem? Link below to the coomplaint outlined and images.

Complaint letter outlined below....

-------------------

I am writing to you as I feel I have a case that has been left unresolved by the dealership that I purchased my Vauxhall Insignia from, and feel this needs a higher level of attention. In May/June 2017 I purchased a 2013 Vauxhall Insignia, licence plate XXXXXX from Perry’s Vauxhall Dealership in Broadstairs (Westwood Road, Broadstairs CT10 2NP). It was purchased through a salesman names Harry. I signed up to a Hire Purchase plan and put a £4000 deposit on the car. I was overjoyed, the car was great, until…

On a long trip down the M4, some 200 miles from home, the car dashboard lit up, “Engine overheated, pull over immediately” This was only 3 MONTHS after I purchased the car. I pulled over onto the hard shoulder, stopped the engine. My wife and I got out, I checked the engine and unscrewed the water cap with a rag, expecting there to be a problem, but nothing seemed out of place. I tried to start the engine again, but it sounded horrendous! Clanging and running rough, I switched it off immediately. I then got us to a safe area and phoned the dealership, we weren’t with the AA but the car was still under warranty. I was given the number for Lantern Recovery, as they were the associated partners of the garage. I phoned Lantern and they said that someone would be on their way…. It took 2 hours for them to arrive. The man that met us plugged in his equipment and told me that there was something wrong with fuel injector 1, and I would need to be recovered by a tow. He left us and we waited a further 2 hours for the Lantern recovery vehicle, which never actually arrived after countless calls. However, we were lucky enough to be approached by a man in an AA van, who asked us if he could have a look. He had been driving the other way a few hours ago and spotted us. I gave him the keys and smirked, sure go ahead, thinking that by the sounds of it, the engine is in a bad way, mechanically. After sitting in the car for a couple of minutes, he turned the key and the engine started. I could not believe it. Now, here’s the most interesting part…

The AA driver informed us that he pulled over because he had a feeling it was the “recurring problems” he has had to fix with these vehicles, and it was a computer error. He had reset the computer on board and it had fixed it. “Vauxhall are aware of this” I was completely shocked. I left and carried on with the trip and tried to enjoy my weekend. I phoned the garage Monday and booked in for it to be looked at, at the same time Iexplained the problem to one of the managers. I got the car back, and surprisingly there were no problems! Everything looks ok, most likely because it was fixed on the roadside by the AA with a simple reset. A few months and one £300 exhaust temperature sensor replacement down the line and I’m driving along in my local town, and the overheat indicator light comes on AGAIN, the car tells me to pull over and stop the car immediately. I COULDN’T BELIVE IT. Again, the same problem. Luckily I was closer to home. But unfortunately, I wasn’t a member of the AA, but I knew that they would fix it on the road side, as this is something they are likely used to! I phoned them and paid the £107 to join and they came out. I had a longer chat with him this time, and actually took a photo of the error codes on the screen, P247A P2428 P2084 P2101

I’m going to go ahead and presume you are familiar with these error codes. The AA driver fixes the car again and I’m on my way. I phone the garage to have it looked at again but couldn’t get an appointment for 3 weeks. I wait. In the meantime…. I look in the drivers manual and service book and to my HORROR I find an old AA slip for the car, date one year before I purchased the car, WITH THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM! Someone from the AA was called out for the previous owner to an “Engine overheat pull car over immediately” warning. I have attached an image below of the AA receipt (following page).

So this lead me to believe that I WAS SOLD THE CAR WITH AN OBVIOUS PROBLEM. I was shocked and felt lied to, to say the least. I took the car to the garage, they kept it for 3 days before getting back to me. I went in and spoke to the service manager. He’s informed me that the problem I’m having was INDEED a known old issue that was supposed to be fixed by an update a few years back. However when he plugs the computer into the car, the software is UP TO DATE!? So, where to now? The response I received from the garage was, in my opinion, unreasonable. I was told…

“The garage needs the car in a failed state, I have 2 choices –

a) Take the car in, and give it to them to run extensive road tests on it until it fails. This means, taking the car out as much as they can until the error occurs again or…

b) Take the car, carry on using it, and WHEN it next happens, have it towed to the garage instead of fixing it on the roadside.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. So in scenario –

a) I am without a car as I would not be allowed a curtesy car whilst the garage runs the miles up on the car indefinitely until it fails!!????..... NO.

b) Drive the car around until it fails. The problem here is I am now completely untrusting of the car. I refuse to take the car on any long trips in fear of this problem occurring, including a south of France holiday I was planning in the summer. The thought of being hundreds of miles from home and the car faulting and then having to try and orchestrate getting it to a Broadstairs garage by being towed is just insane! That is IF the AA will allow it, I can’t imagine they will be happy to tow a car all those miles when they can just fix it with a simple reset.

I really enjoy driving the car, I want to be a good customer, but I feel that I have been stranded by your company. I feel I have also been miss sold the car, and find it unreasonable to change the way I drive and use/not use the car for a computer error that should be fixed. I am paying every month for this car, I look forward to hearing your ideas for a swift resolution.

Yours Sincerely
    Matthew John Murphy

Good luck with this as it is well out of warranty. Would actually be surpised if Vauxhall do anything here
    Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
      Good luck with this as it is well out of warranty. Would actually be surpised if Vauxhall do anything here
      Even for a computer/software malfunction?

Comment

Originally posted by MattJohnMurphy View Post
        Even for a computer/software malfunction?
        1) Private matter between you and the garage you bought it from if you feel they sold you the car with a known fault.
        2. Vauxhall have acknowledged a fault and have provided a software update to cure the fault;
        a) The car had the fault
        b) The car had update / fix
        c) The car still has the fault

So regardless of age or cost, the solution provided by Vauxhall was not fit for purpose for your car.

I don's see how they can refuse to not do anything.
        Understand they need to see car in fault mode, for no other reason than they need to see the codes and determine the issue is not being caused by another fault or faulty item.
        From your point of view this is not your fault or doing, a courtesy car should be provided, and only charged to you if fault found to be something different to suspected issue.

Good luck

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
        Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Just had a quick look up on Torque for your error codes, it said the following, if you didn't know them already.

P247A Exhaust Gas Temperature Out of Range Bank 1 Sensor 3

P2428 - Generic
          Type - Powertrain - Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE Controlled
          Description - Exhaust Gas Temperature Too High
          Location - Bank 1

P2084 EGT Sensor Circ Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2

P2101 Throttle Actuator A Control Motor Circuit Range Performance

You can also look them up, with an explanation of what they are & symptoms, on www.obd-codes.com

Comment

I had the same issue with the engine overheating message. I was doing 60 at the time and the message popped up saying stop engine.

I had only recently just purchased it too and came with vauxhall recovery. Can't remember the name of it.

Pulled over and had a look in engine bay. Checked all fluids all okay.

Tried to restart it and sounded like a bag of spanners.

Called recovery to take me to a local garage. After I remembered I had the vauxhall recovery and they called the AA for me.

The guy said known issue aswell, reset the fault codes. Then he followed me to my Vauxhall garage.

My car was still under warranty luckily. They performed a software update and replaced the exhaust temp sensor.

Since then no issues have re-occured and this was around 3 and a half years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewish View Post
              I had the same issue with the engine overheating message. I was doing 60 at the time and the message popped up saying stop engine.

I had only recently just purchased it too and came with vauxhall recovery. Can't remember the name of it.

Pulled over and had a look in engine bay. Checked all fluids all okay.

Tried to restart it and sounded like a bag of spanners.

Called recovery to take me to a local garage. After I remembered I had the vauxhall recovery and they called the AA for me.

The guy said known issue aswell, reset the fault codes. Then he followed me to my Vauxhall garage.

My car was still under warranty luckily. They performed a software update and replaced the exhaust temp sensor.

Since then no issues have re-occured and this was around 3 and a half years ago.

I've had my exhaust temperature sensor replaced since, when the engine light came on. Thought it was a seperate issue makes me wonder...

Comment

Interesting reading!

Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
                  Wow. Thanks for picking that up. I don't remember a total loss of power, it's very worrying that this problem seems to be putting people in harms way.

Comment

Did you get an answer on this ? I have a 63 plate 2.0 CDTi LTD edition and the same thing has happened to me twice all be it a year apart. Both times on a motorway in rush hour traffic. Out of nowhere message pops up saying overheat and turn off. Twice taken to local garage who reset and all was good after that. Rang Vauxhall’s who confirmed my car had the software update before I bought it. Thankfully it’s only been me in the car when this has happened and not my 2 young daughters. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

I had faced with the same error at my İnsignia 2.0 Cdti. None of the local service dealers arround me could find solution. There should a sw Bug and some signal triggers the error. Temporaly easy solution is remove the positive Head of Battery just for a second. When fixed the battery head again the error cleared and engine works ok. This is not a safe solution and I will appreciate Any advise for permanent one.

Comment

It's EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE SENSOR FAULT.
                        PROBABLY POSITION 1

However after 2013 they started fitting two EGT sensors

See this

Post here your fault codes so we can diagnose that

Comment

Originally posted by kentishbloke View Post
                          Just had a quick look up on Torque for your error codes, it said the following, if you didn't know them already.

P247A Exhaust Gas Temperature Out of RangeBank 1 Sensor 3

P2428 - Generic
                          Type - Powertrain - Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE Controlled
                          Description - Exhaust Gas Temperature Too High
                          Location - Bank 1

P2084 EGT Sensor Circ Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2

P2101 Throttle Actuator A Control Motor Circuit Range Performance

You can also look them up, with an explanation of what they are & symptoms, on www.obd-codes.com
                          Yours is EGT sensor position 2

Comment

Same issue with my 2013 Insignia, 2 "engine overheating stop vehicle immediately" messages in last 2wks. "Faulty temp sensor diagnosed first time, told sensors are ok this time, might be dpf filter. Opel (this is Ireland) won't entertain any notion that this is a known fault. Cannot trust this car, will be trading in somewhere this weekend. Raging, as anyone with knowledge of car trade in Ireland knows that no one wants trade-ins as they can import cheaper from the UK. I'd normally do the same but have no option, couldn't knowingly sell on privately, so it will cost me a fortune. This issue is widespread but no acknowledgement from Vauxhall. One thing for sure, will never buy another Vauxhall. Rant over!

Comment

That's a shame. I miss mine

Comment

Working...
                              X