Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just serviced my car

Hi all.

First time I've ever serviced my own car. Originally trained as a paint refinisher but always had my eyes on mechanics.

My car is a insignia elite CDTI 140. I got the car at 50k and it's now on 62k. It had a "pre sale service" by the dealer I got the car from and looking at the oil and filters means nothing..

Anyway all my filters were Man filters except a bosch caracole cabin filter. For oil used shell ultra helix.

I started by draining the fuel filter. I found it difficult to undo the drain plug to the point I twisted some of the plastic in the process. It did eventually give and I drained the fuel.

I then switched to the front end. I used a oil pump to remove the oil from the car. The pump pulled out 4.5 litres of oil and considering the car was suppose to only have 4.5 litres I would say this was a great result. The oil was black. Going off the service book I believe that the car did 18k on this oil

After draining the oil I changed the cabin filter. Easy enough. Dropped the glove box and swapped it out. I have a feeling that it was the original factory cabin filter. It was dirty and had a Vauxhall stamp on it. Easy swap with the Bosch replacement.

I then went back to the fuel filter which was a night mare getting off. In the process I managed to pull the filter from its holding in the process. Luckily nothing damaged and I finally got it off. The filter was black to which I couldn't find any manufacture date or brand.

Swapped out the filter and replaced the seals.for both the filter and the drain plug.

I then moved onto the oil.filter which I had to Google to find out where it was. I found it under the alternater. A royal pain in the ... Changing it over. Placed a rag under the filter and still managed to get oil everywhere :/.

Everything swapped over I took the car for a test drive. I immediately noticed how quiter the engine was especially when driving down the road. The car also felt slightly more powerful pulling up a motorway slip road faster. I also noticed the car heated up alot quicker that what I was use to.

I did find I had a issue when the stop start kicked in. It would struggle to start up again. Possibly air in the system? It's resolved itself after giving it a blast down the motorway and leaving it to rest.

Overall it took me around 2 hours but I took my time. Certainly worth doing it yourself as you know exactly whats going on your car.

Thank you
Working...
X