Lowering advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering advice

Ok so my first "mod" was going to be splitting and painting headlights black, got a set and found them impossible to open so put that off for now..

On to the next thing..lowering.
    Car is 62plate 2.0 exclusiv cdti hatch

Seen a few links here to the Direnza's on ebay, wondering if anyone had any comparison between these and Eibach etc?
    Thanks

My advice.....don't do it .

The roads in your area and surrounding areas are terrible.
    You'll be renewing parts sooner rather than later

Comment

Originally posted by johnny90 View Post
      Ok so my first "mod" was going to be splitting and painting headlights black, got a set and found them impossible to open so put that off for now..

On to the next thing..lowering.
      Car is 62plate 2.0 exclusiv cdti hatch

Seen a few links here to the Direnza's on ebay, wondering if anyone had any comparison between these and Eibach etc?
      Thanks
      It is possible to split the headlights, its just a pain in the arse and requires bravery :-D

Now, if I can just work out how to upload a pictures again.................

Comment

Hmm thats a thought!
        But to be fair the siggy is mostly motorway commute which is not bad plus i live 400 yards from the motorway so dont spend much time on the rough roads, would you still advise against it?

Comment

Originally posted by roverspeed View Post
          It is possible to split the headlights, its just a pain in the arse and requires bravery :-D

Now, if I can just work out how to upload a pictures again.................
          If you have any pics or advice it would be greatly appreciated
          Maybe impossible was exaggerating but bloody difficult anyway
          My mate suggested a dremel to cut away some of the plastic 'lip' around the edges but dont fancy spending money on something i will never use again so waiting to loan one
          Also got spare lights from scrappy so not fussed about damage

Comment

If you have any pics or advice it would be greatly appreciated
            Maybe impossible was exaggerating but bloody difficult anyway
            My mate suggested a dremel to cut away some of the plastic 'lip' around the edges but dont fancy spending money on something i will never use again so waiting to loan one
            Also got spare lights from scrappy so not fussed about damage
            I cut them in half :-D, didn't even mess around trying to split them. If you are careful, they can be cut in half around the join pretty easily and i have bonded them back together with silicon.

The entire headlight is painted satin black inside. In place of the dipped beams are Bixenon Projectors (3 inch) with custom shrouds. They are extremely tight in fitting in there.

Replacing the main beam is an LED projector that is used only for flashing the headlights when the dipped beams are off.

The indicators are now where the DRL bulbs used to be and are also LED Projectors.

DRL is provided by Ring LED around the Main beam LED Projector and is the only part of the headlight not black.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180709_225919.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	242599

Name:	20180710_231342.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	242600

Name:	20180709_182617_HDR.jpg
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	242601

Comment

I cut them in half :-D, didn't even mess around trying to split them. If you are careful, they can be cut in half around the join pretty easily and i have bonded them back together with silicon.

The entire headlight is painted satin black inside. In place of the dipped beams are Bixenon Projectors (3 inch) with custom shrouds. They are extremely tight in fitting in there.

Replacing the main beam is an LED projector that is used only for flashing the headlights when the dipped beams are off.

The indicators are now where the DRL bulbs used to be and are also LED Projectors.

DRL is provided by Ring LED around the Main beam LED Projector and is the only part of the headlight not black.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]291[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]292[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]293[/ATTACH]
              Looks the dogs b*llocks mate! I like the black on white look a lot

Its definetly still a plan for me but just put off for now untill i can get a loan of a dremel to cut them open, think i will be leaving my bulbs pretty standard but getting the brightest ones a can, also leaving the chrome part along the centre (part that looks like upside down nike tick)
              But as i have spare lights i can mess around with them as im not in any rush

Comment

Nice work roverspeed,i like them. Is that a light bar under your front plate ?
                ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Looks the dogs b*llocks mate! I like the black on white look a lot

Its definetly still a plan for me but just put off for now untill i can get a loan of a dremel to cut them open, think i will be leaving my bulbs pretty standard but getting the brightest ones a can, also leaving the chrome part along the centre (part that looks like upside down nike tick)
                  But as i have spare lights i can mess around with them as im not in any rush
                  Sounds good.

Just take your time and experiment, I was the same, cheap spare lights from eBay so I took my time and only ordered parts after opening the lights.

I'll split mine again when they are off for MOT to fit higher powered LED main beams so the flash to pass is not effective, the light bar tends to make them not so noticeable

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                    Nice work roverspeed,i like them. Is that a light bar under your front plate ?
                    Yup sure is, relayed in with main beams.

It's 12x 10 watt LED, 8x 10 degree 4x 30 degree.

I'm upgrading the LEDs and optics soon, just waiting for the parts to arrive

Comment

Sounds good.

Just take your time and experiment, I was the same, cheap spare lights from eBay so I took my time and only ordered parts after opening the lights.

I'll split mine again when they are off for MOT to fit higher powered LED main beams so the flash to pass is not effective, the light bar tends to make them not so noticeable
                      If you don't mind me asking..where did you cut the lights and what did you use? I was planning on just cutting the 'lip' part off and hope it gives me access to wedge the seal apart

Comment

If you don't mind me asking..where did you cut the lights and what did you use? I was planning on just cutting the 'lip' part off and hope it gives me access to wedge the seal apart
                        Yes no worries, basically the back section of the headlight has u shaped grove the whole way round, I cut the lenses material as close to this u channel as possible.

This has the slight downside that when you are putting them back together you are facing 2 flat sides to one another, so your sealant has to act as an adhesive too.

I clamped mine and left them a good 48 hours and they are very strong. I used normal black silicon. After I had done the joint I ran a bead along the join and smoothed it out with my finger. I did this whilst the joint was still wet.

The corners are the hardest part to cut, but I didn't find it difficult after doing the first one.

The headlight has internal parts like the drl/indicator reflector, you will cut through the mounting tabs for this when you cut the lens off. I epoxy them back into position.

Doing use any super glue, it causes cloudiness in the lens material

Comment

Yes no worries, basically the back section of the headlight has u shaped grove the whole way round, I cut the lenses material as close to this u channel as possible.

This has the slight downside that when you are putting them back together you are facing 2 flat sides to one another, so your sealant has to act as an adhesive too.

I clamped mine and left them a good 48 hours and they are very strong. I used normal black silicon. After I had done the joint I ran a bead along the join and smoothed it out with my finger. I did this whilst the joint was still wet.

The corners are the hardest part to cut, but I didn't find it difficult after doing the first one.

The headlight has internal parts like the drl/indicator reflector, you will cut through the mounting tabs for this when you cut the lens off. I epoxy them back into position.

Doing use any super glue, it causes cloudiness in the lens material
                          Brilliant, thanks for the tips, may have a go at this again at the weekend ��

Comment

Brilliant, thanks for the tips, may have a go at this again at the weekend ��
                            these are the exact projectors I used. The lightout, distribution and cut-off are all awesome. I don't even really need the lightbar anymore, but its just too good for getting slowpokes out of the outside lane on the motorway :-D

Retrofitlab delivers top quality xenon and LED products for car and motorcycle. From xenon lamp to shrouds, from bi-xenon projector to ballast and the newest LED lighting technology. A passionate team will help!

Sadly the reflector bowl in out headlights is so small, you won't be able to fit the shroud, i made my own shroud by cutting up Spray paint lids and covering them in matt vinyl. The things you have to do.

Comment

Working...
                            X