Grand Sport - Flat Spots Everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Sport - Flat Spots Everywhere

Well when I say "flat spots". What I'm finding is when I'm cruising on the motorway at a constant speed, let's just say for the sake of it a constant 70mph, I can feel the power drop off ever so slightly under my right foot. Does it only sometimes and lasts for 4 or 5 seconds.

I've also noticed an absence of torque sometimes when accelerating and attempting an overtake. It's not huge but has been big enough to induce a couple of heart in mouth moments.

I have the 1.6 136bhp Grand Sport Sri manual.

Anyone else noticed this?

It's not doing a regen is it?
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
      It's not doing a regen is it?
      That would be my guess.
      Certainly the two DPF-equipped Astras that I had in the past would feel noticeably low on power during regens. Not a problem for cruising but definitely reason to think carefully about taking on an overtake.
      I think engine power is reduced by about half during regens.

Comment

The regeneration involves injection of fuel into the cylinder post combustion, so does not effect the combustion process so there will (should unless something is wrong) be no reduction in power during a regen, other than the negligible drop due to increased back-pressure in the exhaust. My Bi-turbo does a regen once every 10 days/900km or so and I've never had a drop in power.

Comment

Originally posted by buttons View Post
          . My Bi-turbo does a regen once every 10 days/900km or so and I've never had a drop in power.
          Bl**dy*ell every 10 days is that normal?

Comment

Originally posted by ilunn View Post
            It’s based on miles driven since last regen. Mines does it once a week, as I’m driving 1100 km each week. Regens happens after about 800km. Neben noticed a drop in power during a regen.

Comment

Originally posted by ilunn View Post
              My dealer told me that my ex-Astra seemed to be doing a regen about every 400 miles (650km). Mine was used mostly out of town. My experiences are that regens happen least often when cruising at about 50mph but happen more often when driving at 70+ mph and more often when used for lots of slow/stop-start/short journeys.

Contrary to the myths, passive regeneration does not usually occur at UK motorway speeds but will occur at Autobahn speeds.

Software estimates how full the DPF is based on how the car has been driven since last regen. On one occasion I had a regen less than 100 miles after the last one but on another occasions it was over 1000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
                My dealer told me that my ex-Astra seemed to be doing a regen about every 400 miles (650km). Mine was used mostly out of town. My experiences are that regens happen least often when cruising at about 50mph but happen more often when driving at 70+ mph and more often when used for lots of slow/stop-start/short journeys.

Contrary to the myths, passive regeneration does not usually occur at UK motorway speeds but will occur at Autobahn speeds.

Software estimates how full the DPF is based on how the car has been driven since last regen. On one occasion I had a regen less than 100 miles after the last one but on another occasions it was over 1000 miles.
                Had my top consumers screen on for last 300 miles and nothing, really dont think i have had a regen since having the car, thats 6 weeks and 1100 miles.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Gotta ask, have you got the air con on by any chance? Some people love to keep it on all the time (no idea why!) and in my experience it always saps the power when trying an overtake/up a hill (not to mention the increase in fuel consumption!) & you can tell when the compressor kicks in as you get the kind of 'flat spot' you're experiencing, although I only have the wheezie 1.8 petrol engine!

Comment

Originally posted by kentishbloke View Post
                    Gotta ask, have you got the air con on by any chance? Some people love to keep it on all the time (no idea why!) and in my experience it always saps the power when trying an overtake/up a hill (not to mention the increase in fuel consumption!) & you can tell when the compressor kicks in as you get the kind of 'flat spot' you're experiencing, although I only have the wheezie 1.8 petrol engine!
                    I never ever noticed my air con compressing kicking in, even with my 1.2 Corsa I didn’t noticed any difference. And my insignia happily reaches nearly it’s top speed with airco on, so I doubt if it has any noticeable diffence in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by kentishbloke View Post
                      Agreed. The drag of aircon can make the car need a gear lower than normal.

Comment

I have the 160BHP Sri and i notice a considerable increase in power during a regen and a considerable loss of power with the aircon it hates it ok when cruising but round town feels like the brakes are stuck on. But during regen the engine note changes completely and power increases quite a bit it likes the extra fuel i think.

Comment

Working...
                        X