Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seizing/Squeaking sound pulling off

Hi all,

New member here. I've recently been having a few issues with my 58 reg Insignia CDTI recently, I've only owned the car for just over 2 months and I noticed the issue starting to develop about a week after buying my car. Basically, when I'm in first gear and just on the biting point I will notice my car tends to make this awful squeaking noise almost like a seizing sound.

I've been in contact with the garage I bought my Insignia from as they sold it with a 6 month 'no quibble' warranty, least to say they haven't been the most helpful. The first time I took it back they scratched their head and basically put it down to "that's just a thing these cars do, it's no harm to your car". Obviously the problem developed further and occasionally the sound will travel through second and third gear in situations where I'm in start/stop traffic and the clutch is being used regularly. The last time I took the car to the garage was yesterday and they said they couldn't get the squeak to happen and they seemed to think it was a problem with the brakes and they think they fixed the issue. I picked the car up today and the problem still persists - it only took about ten minutes for the issue to start again and this time I caught it on video for you to all try and diagnose. In the video you'll hear it several times as I come on and off the clutch, the noise seems to be emitting from the engine bay.

I get the feeling that the garage are trying to palm it off to avoid large expenses if it is an issue with the clutch. I noticed that the clutch use to feel a lot heavier before I noticed the problem and now it feels a lot lighter to push the clutch pedal in.

I really do want to sort this issue out, the car is absolutely amazing apart from this extremely baffling problem - I want to be able to use my car without the fear something may go wrong. The thing is, if this car is going to be a problem child I really want to give it back to the garage and move on from them and probably buy a car elsewhere.

If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it!

Cheers,

Al

From an email I got from the Haynes manual people.

Check out number 2 & 3.

5 nasty car noises and what they mean

Nasty car noises image
    Our guide to common groans, squeaks, rattles and thumps is designed to get you closer to a diagnosis and a best course of action…

01 The Floppy Rumble

This is almost certainly a flat tyre, especially when accompanied by soft and heavy steering and road irregularities felt through the steering wheel. Lower the window to see if the noise gets louder, and once you're sure pull over as soon as it’s safe.

02 The Short Squeak

If it happens as you let the clutch out, that’s your clue. A squeaky clutch may carry on for some time, but eventually that annoying noise could turn into something more serious, and if the noise and the clutch feel is changing quickly, there’s trouble just down the road.

03 The Long Squeal

This one happens as you pull away, particularly if the engine is cold. It’s likely to be one of the drive belts under the hood – it squeals because it’s slipping, and it’s slipping because it needs adjusting or because it’s nearly worn out.

04 Knock Knock

If you hear a knocking sound as you drive over bumps, it’s likely to be either a worn out shock absorber or, more likely, worn suspension parts. It could be a perished rubber bush or a worn-out ball joint. Both need replacing because they’re not going to get better.

05 The Hollow Roar

It’s the exhaust, obviously. A blowing exhaust is an easy, if sometimes expensive, fix at a tyre and exhaust centre, but it could be a broken bracket – if you hear a scraping sound, the exhaust is dragging on the road and you need to pull over and rig up a temporary fix.

Comment

Ah just as I expected then. Definitely clutch related.

I'm not too sure what my next move is, I've sent them an email saying that the problem still persists but I don't know what to do next. Thanks for looking that up for me

Comment

Be firm, they said no quibble warranty, you mentioned it right away, they have attempted to repair, so by doing this they have taken ownership of the problem. If the no quibble warranty didnt cover the said issue then why would they attempt to fix it?

Just explain you love the car and bought it in good faith, also mention they shouldnt give warranties if not going to stick to them. If all goes ugly ring citezens advice for a start, mention you could get a second opinion (at your own cost) to verify the fault etc.

Good luck

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
        Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Just another update to the situation - the car was making the same noise but in repitition on my commute to work this morning when I had to slow down for congestion on the motorway. Happened when I had to slow down and change to 3rd gear.

Thanks MattG for the advice, I'll get the Insignia back onto them this afternoon and tell them to only contact me once it's fixed.

Comment

Working...
          X