Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remaining Oil Life

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum however, every car I've owned has been a vauxhall and I think it always will be!

Back in June I purchased a brand new 18 plate vauxhall insignia sri vx line.

Now what I don't understand is how they've changed the oil on the dash board to oil life remaining.

I've spoken to the dealer where I've purchased it from and he said its normal for it to drop down, now I've done 8000 miles and I'm on 10%. Friday I was on 14% and I've checked this morning and I'm on 10%. Now when I spoke to the "service manager" at the dealership, he said its nothing to worry about as its just water on my oil and need to burn this off on a motorway travel. I've taken that advise and nothing.

I've booked my car in to be seen by them in 2 weeks time however, I'm just wanting to know if anybody else understands the reason for the change and possibly know how to increase the oil life??

I work in a well know car parts supplier, and I'm just wondering if any of the oil treatment additives we sell would work??

Far as I know the oil timer is based on a set time period combined with miles you drive. Not sure why they on about water, any water in the oil does not seem correct as the oil would become emulsified and contaminate the whole engine.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Hi,

It sounds about right to me. As Matt says, It's just a count down to guide you on when you need an oil change. Mine counted down to hit zero a few days before my first service in July at a year old but I'd only done 4000 miles. It was reset to 100% at the time of the service and since then I've done 1488 miles and my oil life is at 79%.

Originally posted by tgee92 View Post
      Now what I don't understand is how they've changed the oil on the dash board to oil life remaining.
      What do you mean by oil on the dash board? You don't mean the oil light do you? If so, the oil light and oil life remaining are two separate things. If your oil light comes on it means you're low on oil. The oil life remaining is just a guide on consistency, not the oil level.
      2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

I've spoken to somebody different to the "service manager" this time round and shes advised me that I need to return my car straight away to get it looked at. So all booked in for the 20th next month, fingers crossed it doesn't hit zero.

Comment

Straight away, nearly a month later. Remind them that if anything goes wrong between now and then it's their fault. They tried that with me with Astra, said urgent and because I had reported it to them, if anything went wrong it was my fault, and told me not to drive car for three weeks. Was furious, rang another depot and got it in that week. The fact they have already had car, they should sort right away, seems warranty to me.

I've spoken to somebody different to the "service manager" this time round and shes advised me that I need to return my car straight away to get it looked at. So all booked in for the 20th next month, fingers crossed it doesn't hit zero.

Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Think that is a waste of their time but as you aren't footing the bill I wouldn't worry. If the car was serviced/new when you bought it then it'll just be the count down over 365 days.

You'll probably only be told it needs a service now and have to end up paying :P

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
              Far as I know the oil timer is based on a set time period combined with miles you drive.
              Originally posted by marko301 View Post
              As Matt says, It's just a count down to guide you on when you need an oil change. Mine counted down to hit zero a few days before my first service in July at a year old but I'd only done 4000 miles.
              There's definitely more to it than that, at least on my 2012 Insignia 2.8 petrol and 2017 Viva 1.0 petrol.

The Insignia is 6 months since last oil change and has only done about 4k. Oil life is 80%.

The Viva is 3 months since last oil change and has done about 6k. Oil life is 60%.

During the hot summer weather the Viva's oil life was dropping quite fast- 1% every 100 miles - despite a 1yr/20k service interval.
              Now the weather is back to seasonally normal the oil life is dropping at 1% every 150-200 miles.

So my cars suggest that oil life is calculated based on a variety of factors, perhaps number of engine starts from cold, temperature-related degradation, time remaining before a year is up, mileage remaining before 20k has been reached, number of DPF regens, number of interrupted DPF regens.
              Possibly also something in the software which assumes oil life degrades more quickly in an engine that's not fully run in, perhaps during the engine's first 10k.

Comment

Yeah what I meant by countdown was as a guide to service intervals by mileage and time. Yeah probably more as you say. What I was trying to say to the op is if he's hit 8k miles in 3 months, his oil life is bound to have dropped dramatically compared to mine that has done only 1,488miles in a little under the same amount of time (early july) but at the same time on average mine has used more oil life than his mile for mile. That's where as you say, other factors come into it like short journeys where the engine hasn't warmed up.
                2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

GM Oil Life Monitor System

Frequently Asked Questions

How does the system work?

The GM Oil Life Monitor System is not a mileage counter. It is actually a computer
                  based software algorithm that determines when to change oil based on engine operating
                  conditions. There is no actual oil condition sensor. Rather, the computer continuously
                  monitors engine-operating conditions to determine when to change oil. Over the years,
                  millions of test miles have been accumulated to calibrate the system for a variety of
                  vehicles. The system was first introduced in 1988 and is now on more than 10 million
                  GM vehicles.

How do I operate the system?

The GM Oil Life Monitor System is very easy to use. First, refer to the vehicle owner’s
                  manual for a description of the specific ‘change oil’ message and the instructions for
                  resetting the system. When the vehicle has been driven the appropriate miles, the ‘change
                  oil’ message will be illuminated on the instrument panel or driver information center
                  when the vehicle is first started. An oil change should be done within two fuel tank fillups
                  from when the message was first displayed. Immediately after the oil has been
                  changed, the system must be reset. After resetting, the ‘change oil’ display will no longer
                  be displayed after engine start up.
                  I change my oil every 3000 miles, so of what use is this system?
                  You can continue to change your oil every 3000 miles if you so choose, but remember to
                  reset the system after changing the oil or you will get a false “change oil” message.
                  However the GM Oil Life Monitor System will allow you the ability to extend the
                  mileage between changes without harming your engine. This will save you time and
                  money as well as helping to protect the environment by minimizing the amount of used
                  oil.

Do I have to use special oil?

The GM Oil Life Monitor System is calibrated for use with standard “Starburst” mineralbased
                  automotive engine oil. Synthetic oils are not required except for the Corvette.
                  Make sure to read the owner’s manual and select the viscosity and oil grade that is correct
                  for your engine. Any oil selected for use should carry the ILSAC “Starburst”.

How many miles can I expect to go between oil changes when using this system?

The beauty of the GM Oil Life Monitor System is that it will automatically adjust the oil
                  change interval based engine characteristics, driving habits and the climate in which the
                  vehicle is operated. For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize
                  the interval between oil changes. Depending on the vehicle, this could be in excess of
                  7000 miles and as high as 12,000 miles. On the other hand, short trip driving in cold a
                  climate may limit the oil change to 3000 miles or less. In general, most people that drive
                  a combination of city and highway schedules find that the GM Oil Life Monitor System
                  will indicate an oil change every 7500 to 8500 miles.

What happens if I change oil and forget to reset the system?

Since the GM Oil Life Monitor System does not actually sense oil condition, it is
                  important that the engine computer knows when an oil change takes place. By enabling
                  the reset (read owner’s manual for instructions), it lets the computer know an oil change
                  has taken place. In the event that an oil change is done without resetting the system, the
                  ‘change oil’ indicator will remain illuminated until the system is rest. The more miles that
                  are driven without the system being reset, the more inaccurate the GM Oil Life Monitor
                  System will be. If more than 500 miles have been driven after an oil change without
                  resetting the GM Oil Life Monitor System, the oil change interval should be defaulted
                  back to 3000 miles. After the oil has been changed and the system reset, normal use of
                  the system can be resumed.

The oil change service station recommends that I change oil every 3000 miles.
                  Why should I not believe them?

The 3000 mile oil change is very conservative approach to maintaining your vehicle that
                  dates back to 1968. Many advancements in engine and oil technology have been made
                  since then. These advancements, in conjunction with using the GM Oil Life Monitor
                  System, allow engine oil drain intervals to be increased without risking harm your the
                  engine.

I change my own oil, should I reset the system myself?

You can reset per the vehicle owner's manual, or ask your selling dealer.

Will I damage the car if I don't get the oil changed soon after the light comes on?

As stated in the owner's manual, change oil as soon as possible. It is recommended that
                  oil be changed within 600 miles of the change oil light / message.

Do I have to check my oil level now that my vehicle is equipped with the GM Oil
                  Life Monitor System?

Yes, the system does not sense oil level. As stated in the owner's manual, it is
                  recommended that you check your oil every time you stop for gasoline.
                  Will I void my warranty if I don't go by the GM Oil Life Monitor System?

Complying with the owner's manual recommendations will maintain the warranty.
                  I had my oil changed recently and now my GM Oil Life Monitor System light came
                  on.
                  If the system was not reset (refer to owner's manual) at the time of oil change, the system
                  can be reset as long as it's been less than 500 miles since the last oil change. If this
                  mileage has been exceeded, change the oil at 3000 miles and reset system.

I prefer to have my oil changed still around 3,500 miles, what should I do?

It is ok to change oil prior to being notified by the vehicle. Be sure the system is reset
                  even if the GM Oil Life Monitor System light has not illuminated.

My oil seems dirty, I have 6,000 miles and no light, do I have a problem?

Discoloration will take place under normal conditions depending on driving conditions.
                  Refer to the Owner’s Manual for further information

Can any dealer other than my selling dealer perform Simplified Maintenance
                  services?

While we like to recommend the selling dealer, any GM Goodwrench dealership can
                  perform the Maintenance I and Maintenance II service and reset the GM Oil Life System.

I use synthetic oil, should I expect to get more miles before the trigger point with
                  GMOLS?

The GM Oil Life System is calculated based on the factory fill requirement. While some
                  benefits may exist, the oil drain interval is not extended due to the use of synthetic oil.

During Summer I drive my vehicle in a very hot climate, do I need to change oil
                  more often?

The beauty of the GM Oil Life System is that it calculates for severe climate use and
                  determines the oil change interval just as it does for trailer towing as well as stop and go
                  operation. There is no need to adjust the oil change based on climate, as well as vehicle
                  use.

I continue to get 3,000 mile follow-up mailers from my dealer, what should I do?

Inform you servicing dealer that you prefer to go by the Maintenance I and Maintenance
                  II driven by the GM Oil Life Monitor System so that they may adjust the way you receive
                  follow-up mailings.

I have another GM vehicle a 2002 model with the GM Oil Life Monitor System, can
                  I use the Simplified Maintenance Schedule with it also?

While it is equipped with the GM Oil Life Monitor System, Maintenance I and
                  Maintenance II was not yet introduced. The proper recommendation would always be to
                  follow the owner’s manual.

Comment

Get rid and buy a mountain bike..... simple solution

Comment

Welcome
                      LED interior lights. Chrome mirror caps & door handle covers. LED reverse light bulbs. Pedal box. Atomic Alloys. Steel Structure spare wheel. Boot floor risers. Rear exit exhaust & rear valance. M Y ‘15’ front grille.

Comment

Originally posted by 2000rpm View Post
                        There's definitely more to it than that, at least on my 2012 Insignia 2.8 petrol and 2017 Viva 1.0 petrol.

The Insignia is 6 months since last oil change and has only done about 4k. Oil life is 80%.

The Viva is 3 months since last oil change and has done about 6k. Oil life is 60%.

During the hot summer weather the Viva's oil life was dropping quite fast- 1% every 100 miles - despite a 1yr/20k service interval.
                        Now the weather is back to seasonally normal the oil life is dropping at 1% every 150-200 miles.

So my cars suggest that oil life is calculated based on a variety of factors, perhaps number of engine starts from cold, temperature-related degradation, time remaining before a year is up, mileage remaining before 20k has been reached, number of DPF regens, number of interrupted DPF regens.
                        Possibly also something in the software which assumes oil life degrades more quickly in an engine that's not fully run in, perhaps during the engine's first 10k.
                        Its not that smart, its a time counter. I put mines back to 100% and base it on mileage. I only use Castrol edge longline for diesel and Shell V power fuel

Comment

Originally posted by mickl3008 View Post
                          Its not that smart, its a time counter. I put mines back to 100% and base it on mileage. I only use Castrol edge longline for diesel and Shell V power fuel
                          Try saying a hello for your first post.....

Comment

Originally posted by mickl3008 View Post
                            On the Viva (2016 model), it's definitely not a time counter, nor a mileage counter. Oil life last reset at the end of April. Manual says 1yr/20k oil interval.
                            Done 6118 miles in the two months since fresh oil and oil life reset. Oil life now down to 61%. It hasn't covered 39% of 20k (which would be 7800 miles) and it hasn't been 39% of a year (4.7 months) since fresh oil.

Insignia 2.8 (2012 model) oil life last reset was early March. Oil life is now 87%. It hasn't been 13% of a year (which would have been late-April).

Comment

That first post was like meeting a woman for the first time , a then "goosing her" !
                              It's a yoohoo to mickl3008 welcome aboard .
                              Service counters rely on a load of factors to equate the %
                              How many starts , length of time of trip , car load , RPM , speed air temperature barometric pressure ( that's all taken care of via the MAF ) dose a carol voderman type sum and Hay presto !

.K.M.P.C.U
                              YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Working...
                              X