Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plugs and Coil Pack

Hello,

Picked up a 10 plate Insignia yesterday. Its a 1.8 SRi with 48000 miles.

Since I have been driving it, when I have been accelerating it feel like it miss-fires and the engine management light flashes and it came up with Service ESP message.

I have read some things that point to the spark plugs and coil pack, does this sound right?

Also how difficult would it be to change these and should I take it back to the garage as I have only owned the car for a day?

Thanks

Hi,get any codes read,sounds like you have an abs sensor fault,changed mine a few months back.
    Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
    Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

So I have read for any faults and there is nothing showing.

Would a faulty spark plug produce a fault code?

I am pretty sure it is the spark plugs, few things have been happening, when I start the car it doesn't fire up straight away, it turns over a couple of times. Fuel consumption seems to be massive, putting £30-£40 in every 4-5 days and not doing that much driving. There is a slight judder when I am sat stationary and an occasional miss fire when accelerating at higher revs. Also feels pretty sluggish in higher gears.

Comment

Originally posted by symun23 View Post
        So I have read for any faults and there is nothing showing.

Would a faulty spark plug produce a fault code?

I am pretty sure it is the spark plugs, few things have been happening, when I start the car it doesn't fire up straight away, it turns over a couple of times. Fuel consumption seems to be massive, putting £30-£40 in every 4-5 days and not doing that much driving. There is a slight judder when I am sat stationary and an occasional miss fire when accelerating at higher revs.
        What reader did you use? Some generic readers don't work or won't pick up all codes. You'd need something like OpCom to do a full check

Comment

Originally posted by leearnold89 View Post
          What reader did you use? Some generic readers don't work or won't pick up all codes. You'd need something like OpCom to do a full check
          This is the reader that I used, READER

Comment

Originally posted by symun23 View Post
            This is the reader that I used, READER
            Hmm I'd hazard a guess that this may not properly read all the faults. I reckon you'd be better off getting an OpCom/VauxCom of someone local to you to do a proper fault code check.

But as for the original question I'd take it back to the garage and let them find the issue if you haven't had the car long. The 1.8VVT on the Vectra used to love eating plugs and coil packs and I was on the 3rd one (2nd replacement) in my ownership. It was an interesting 15 mile drive home when it was misfiring

Comment

3 years ago I had the coil pack fail on my 2009 1.8 Elite a month or so after I bought it at around 35000 miles. It was under warranty & the dealer paid for a local garage to fix it as they were a 2 hour drive away. I got a warning light & used my cheap Bluetooth code reader dongle with TorquePro on my phone to narrow down what the problem was. Tried changing the plugs but that didn't help.

I recently changed the plugs after having had jerky acceleration for a while, solved the jerky acceleration (gap on the new plugs is half the old ones gap!). Car's a pleasure to drive & overtaking isn't a headache any more.

Also, recently changed the plugs on the Mrs 2014 Corsa 1.4 after she got the engine management light come on. Checked for any codes & it identified a misfire on one cylinder. Changed the plugs (same ones as the Insignia) & noticed corrosion on the spring contacts in the coil pack, cleaned them up & she's not had any problems since! Incidentally, you can get coil pack repair kits on ebay, has the rubber boots & spring contacts, can't see why they wouldn't do one for the Insignia.

Comment

The coil pack went on my 1.8 a few months back. Was clearly running on three cylinders, but was throwing up a dash error “Service Stabilitrak”.

I pulled the plugs out and one was clearly not functioning. New plugs and coil pack fitted and all was well again.

Guess all I’m saying is that you can’t necessarily believe the warning messages that get shown on the dash, they could be something of a red herring.

Comment

Working...
                X