Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Handbrake - auto release

Hi all,

I've just purchased a 2009 Insignia 2.0 Turbo SE (manual) and on the whole I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm struggling with the drive away function of the electronic handbrake though and looking for some guidance?

I've followed the instructions in the manual:

Depressing clutch pedal and then depressing the accelerator pedal but no joy, I've lifted the clutch to biting point and feel the car pulling but still no joy. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong but it's making hills starts a bit difficult as the Hill Start Assist seems to want quite a steep hill before kicking in!

I notice the manual also says 'This is not possible when the switch is pulled' - which seems abit contrary because you have to pull the switch to engage the handbrake at first?

Is it possible my car doesn't have the drive away function or is there a way to tell if there is a fault?

Many thanks - my first post btw!

Mark

Welcome. Seems to vary from car to car. Just pull away normally to disengage brake. Yes you will feel a little more resistance than normal but brake will release. I personally don't use auto release. HSA hit and miss on my car, works perfectly when auto release has been used. But refuses to work to any standard if not. Drives me up the wall, so just drive like I have normal hand brake and no HSA .

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Strangely, I've just been out again and apart from the first time I released the handbrake (which I did with switch & foot on brake) the drive away function worked every time, seemed to be clutch fully engaged (pedal to floor), throttle then clutch up and released perfectly! I know the Avensis we also have took a bit of getting used to the auto-release so maybe it's just practice - we'll see!

Thanks

Comment

As long as I'm not on a slope I like to bring the clutch up a little but just before biting, I give the throttle a little rev and the brake releases without the drag. I save the drag for gentle slopes where the car might roll.

It just takes a bit of practice until you find what's comfortable for you.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

The only time in mine when it feels like it isn't going to release is when I'm setting off after it's been parked up a while, like when driving off the drive in the morning or setting back off from work.
          In stop start traffic it's great, disengages really smoothly.

Comment

Working...
          X