Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 sets of wheels (and problems that comes with it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 sets of wheels (and problems that comes with it)

I live in a country where it's obligatory to change tires to winter tires for a cold season. So I'm thinking about buying second set of wheels for winter. But it's totally not clear for me what should I do about tire pressure sensors?

1. What would happen if second set of wheels would not have pressure sensors? Would that mean that the light on a dashboard would constantly be on showing low pressure? Or some kind of error would appear on a dashboard?
    2. How expensive are those pressure sensors?
    3. Should they be calibrated each time the wheels are changed? For example if I change one set for the other. And how difficult that calibration is. Can it be done in regular service of only in Opel service?
    4. How would car react if there would be 8-9 wheels with pressure sensors around it at the same time? (the second set would be stored at home, so each time the car would be parked near by it could sense these as well).

Thanks in advance for the answers.

1. If you run another set of wheels without sensors you'll get a message on the dash saying the sensors can't be read rather than a low pressure message. You should be able to cancel the message but it might keep coming back on while on your journey because the car re checks every few minutes.

3. As long as you buy the correct sensors you shouldn't need to do any calibrating. The car does this itself but you will need to drive the car for 10 to 20 minutes the first time after fitting while it learns.

4. Again, once you change the wheels back over....Drive the car for 10 to 20 minutes while it learns.

Sorry, I can't help on price. Maybe worth having a word with the dealer who supplied your car.
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
      1. If you run another set of wheels without sensors you'll get a message on the dash saying the sensors can't be read rather than a low pressure message. You should be able to cancel the message but it might keep coming back on while on your journey because the car re checks every few minutes.

3. As long as you buy the correct sensors you shouldn't need to do any calibrating. The car does this itself but you will need to drive the car for 10 to 20 minutes the first time after fitting while it learns.

4. Again, once you change the wheels back over....Drive the car for 10 to 20 minutes while it learns.

Sorry, I can't help on price. Maybe worth having a word with the dealer who supplied your car.
      Thanks for the answers. That really helped. So I just need to buy original Opel wheels with sensors...
      Seen 17" original Insignia wheels on sale for 100 euro a piece (used ones). If only I could find bi-color 18" wheels for a similar price.
      Also found sensors. They cost around 30 euro a piece for the used ones. Don't remember the price for the new ones, but they are quite expensive.

Comment

If you can get the wheels and sensors cheaper elsewhere I would. Then just take your sensors and wheels to a tyre fitters and ask them to refit the tyres with the sensors.
        2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Sensors from dealer are £70 each. But can be got for around £40 pre configured for car on ebay. think you would be ok even with wheels stored in garage (it would be the same if you had 2 cars in same garage both having same sensors. I would always mark each wheel for which corner it comes off so as to put it back in same position when time to swap over.

Comment

Working...
          X