Engine oil sump plug seal inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine oil sump plug seal inquiry

Hi, I’m planning on performing my first engine oil change.

Do I need to get a new oil sump plug seal (O-Ring Seal)? Or can I reuse the old one already on the plug?

Anyone got any hints or tips they would like to share?

Vauxhall insignia estate VVT 16v SRi 5dr (10 - 12) 1.8 sri petrol, manual
    Registered 17th October 2011
    Mileage (latest checked) 68215

Thanks
    Thanks

I've reused mine at least 3 times and then eventually replaced it just incase it ended up rounded off and then I'd be stuck. If you've got a torque wrench its 25nm torque but you could probably tighten slight more to compress the o ring washer for better seal. As you've got the petrol engine you shouldn't have an undertray so you can easily keep an eye on sump bolt to see if it's leaking for a few days after

Comment

Check the plug has not been damaged by using the wrong socket bit,but you could replace it with a new one for piece of mind as you are doing the first oil change since your ownership.
      Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
      Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Change it at every oil change, it costs pence. It compresses on first use, its so cheap just dump it and get a new one. Otherwise you'll end up over-tightning the old one to seal it and strip the head at the next change. Not worth it.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. I'd like to change it, but I don't know what the part is.
          Anyone got a part code, or an ebay suggestion at all?

Thanks
          Thanks

Comment

Try local motor factor or ebay;
            Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
            Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Thanks mate, your a star!
              Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X