Noise on warm start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise on warm start

Hello folks thankyou for giving me the opportunity to be a part of your forum for starters.

I am the owner of a 09 plate 2.0 cdti which has 160k on clock which lasted me all of 10 miles (seriously) after buying it before the oil starvation issue caused the bottom end to eat itself, I have since had a refurbished engine fitted and clocked up 1k miles and im very happy with the car, the missus hates it for no real reason other than there is a single clang on warm startup and she is fretting thinking the car is going to self distruct again.

This only happens on warm starts, cold starts there is no noise, I have changed the battery, starter motor and glow plugs to no avail. Whether the engine is hot or cold it cranks three times then catches but there is a single metallic clang when warm as it catches, no other noises, no warnings, car drives fine. From cold there is no noise at all, the clutch bite point is low and the gearchange is smooth.

No noises when idling, no noise when clutch is depressed, no rattling or anything, just the single clang when you start the engine if its warm. One mechanic has said it sounds like the DMF but he is loathe to suggest a new one just yet as there are no other symptoms other than the single clang as it catches and he says it is fine for now, another mechanic says it sounds more like its coming from the auxiliary pulleys but cant see anything obvious, and a third mechanic has told me not to worry about it and just enjoy the car.

if anyone has come across this i would appreciate some input before I have to throw even more money at the car as another big bill is going to mean i end up divorced

Check the crank gear, not the pulley, there is a metal tab within the gear that can sheer.

Comment

Originally posted by VXLINER View Post
      Check the crank gear, not the pulley, there is a metal tab within the gear that can sheer.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l225.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	242668

thankyou for your input, would that be the locator dowel as on the pulley i cant see anywhere a tab would go, from my homework i think some versions have a woodruff key but my crank pulley is like this one as its an A20DTH.

Comment

It's not the pulley it's the gear behind it buddy, I will see if I can find a pic

Comment

This is the one, on the reverse side there is a metal tab sometimes it sheers.

Has anyone been near your timing belt or have you had it done lately.

Comment

Originally posted by VXLINER View Post
            This is the one, on the reverse side there is a metal tab sometimes it sheers.

Has anyone been near your timing belt or have you had it done lately.
            hi yes it had belt replaced when recon engine was fitted

Comment

I would get that gear checked out, also check if car has been timed correctly or has the correct timing

Comment

Get someone else to start car and listen down that direction bud

Comment

thats brilliant thanks for helping me with that. Im going to get in touch with the gentleman that replaced the engine and suggest that he may have dropped the ball on this one, hopefully he wont take too much offense!

Comment

I would get it checked first, then you have ammunition buddy.

Comment

But in fairness all tentioners and pullies should be changed with the belt and usually the water pump, this gear issue is known to vx the but they won't really mention it

Comment

Here is a diagram of the diesel engine code you mentioned.

At the bottom of pic you will see the little gear that is behind the pulley. Circled 7,8,9,10 etc.

The gear itself is not expensive, it's the time but in saying that it ain't that expensive, if it is that I would get it done, don't leave it or you engine will be toast again.

Fingers crossed it ain't that.

Hers someone else same gear/sprocket.
                        https://insignia-drivers.uk/threads/16336-Rough-starting

If you don't wanna fix it or feel you have had enough punt it on buddy. But defo get it checked first maybe something else.

I doubt very much it has sheered yet, so defo get timing verified first.

Comment

I'm getting the exact same issues after clutch and dmf replaced by myself and also changed the oil pickup seal. I was nowhere near the timing belt which was done a year and a half ago along with a new crank gear installed so it should be causing me problems. I'll be keeping any eye on this to see how you get on with fixing noise. I'll be sure to let you know if I manage to work out what's causing it

Comment

Working...
                          X