No announcement yet.

2011 2.0cdti 158 Cambelt change (price)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 2.0cdti 158 Cambelt change (price)

Hi all, my car is now at 74k, I am wanting the cambelt and water pump replacing. My local garage quoted £400, which I personally feel is taking the p**s. I went online with the Vauxhall main site, and went to book a service, you can select what you want them to do, it said £279.

Because I am always sceptical, I am wondering if that price of £279 is just a starting price, or is that specific to my vehicle, and is it £279 all in?

Any help welcome

£279 is a cam belt but not the waterpump I think, you may as well do the aux belt while your at it. My local box wanted £441. In the end I did it myself and I also changed the aux belt tensioner and the other pulley on the engine mount, using gates kit for £195

Comment

Originally posted by over30 View Post
      Hi all, my car is now at 74k, I am wanting the cambelt and water pump replacing. My local garage quoted £400, which I personally feel is taking the p**s. I went online with the Vauxhall main site, and went to book a service, you can select what you want them to do, it said £279.

Because I am always sceptical, I am wondering if that price of £279 is just a starting price, or is that specific to my vehicle, and is it £279 all in?

Any help welcome
      Being honest with you, I did a full service on mine. So both belts idlers and water pump, fresh coolant, oil and filter all of the parts from euros cost me about 180, so if the main agent will do it for that price take their arm off at the fecking shoulder!

Comment

I serviced the vehicle myself 2 months ago, oil and filter change, fuel filter, air filter, a new aux belt, new front discs and pads.

The only reason I have mentioned the water pump and cambelt, is because the car is making a kind of 'chuff chuff chitty bang bang sound' from the front drivers side when the engine is started from cold, the noise goes away as the engine warms up

I have looked at the Gates cambelt kits, they seem to vary on price, but I can get one for less than £90, I am unsure about doing the cambelt myself, I have never tackled it before, and I am worried about doing it wrong, and wrecking the engine!

Comment

I serviced the vehicle myself 2 months ago, oil and filter change, fuel filter, air filter, a new aux belt, new front discs and pads.

The only reason I have mentioned the water pump and cambelt, is because the car is making a kind of 'chuff chuff chitty bang bang sound' from the front drivers side when the engine is started from cold, the noise goes away as the engine warms up

I have looked at the Gates cambelt kits, they seem to vary on price, but I can get one for less than £90, I am unsure about doing the cambelt myself, I have never tackled it before, and I am worried about doing it wrong, and wrecking the engine!
          Hi did you get this sorted? I've just got my Insignia and I have a noise when I start it from cold have a look at my post and can you let me know if it is a similiar sound.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by markf497 View Post
            Hi did you get this sorted? I've just got my Insignia and I have a noise when I start it from cold have a look at my post and can you let me know if it is a similiar sound.

Thanks.

https://insignia-drivers.uk/threads/...oise-when-cold

Hi, sorry, I commented on your post.

This was the same noise that mine made, got my cambelt and water pump changed, that noise has now gone. So not sure if it was the waterpump, or the cambelt tensioner, or whatever else is driven by the cambelt that gets replaced.

Cost me £393 though! The main Vauxhall dealer near me, wanted £443 and they wanted me to sign up to their service plan.

Comment

Hi, sorry, I commented on your post.

This was the same noise that mine made, got my cambelt and water pump changed, that noise has now gone. So not sure if it was the waterpump, or the cambelt tensioner, or whatever else is driven by the cambelt that gets replaced.

Cost me £393 though! The main Vauxhall dealer near me, wanted £443 and they wanted me to sign up to their service plan.
              I had my car at the Vauxhall dealer yesterday and they lubricated the timing belt and it seems ok. I'll see how it goes they told me if the noise comes back they will do the timing belt and water pump I have a years warranty witht he car.

Comment

That's the first time I've heard of a timing belt being lubricated

Timing belts are made of rubber which is reinforced with steel wire. As the belts are flexible and there is no metal on metal contact it eliminates the need for lubrication. Will this lubrication reduce the life of the belt?
                Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Originally posted by 0011728 View Post
                  That's the first time I've heard of a timing belt being lubricated

Timing belts are made of rubber which is reinforced with steel wire. As the belts are flexible and there is no metal on metal contact it eliminates the need for lubrication. Will this lubrication reduce the life of the belt?
                  It's the first i've heard of it as well. According to the Vauxhall dealer the lubrication they use .is specifically for rubber and it won't damage the belt, I still think it will be a quick fix and i'll be back in at them to get the timing belt and water pump done.

Comment

.....The lubrication they talk about is probably a product "Gummifleg" used for nourishing and revitalizing rubber products etc . I use it on the door and boot seals of my cars to stop freezing in the winter . In Summer to stop them drying out and to enhance the rubber. I have an idea it is Lanolin based . So this is almost surely what they have used .

Comment

I was told by my local garage, who did my belt and water pump, that it isn't the belts that are the problem, the weakest link is the water pump which is why I have just had mine done at 74k

Comment

Good "Gates" cambelt including water pump kits on Ebay from £80.00 from various UK car parts suppliers, i was quoted 3 hrs at £50.00hr by my local garage of 30 years if i supplied full kit, so approx £230 + VAT later i was good to go.

Comment

Foes anyone know if you need any timing tools to do the cambelt?
                          Wouldn’t mind giving it ago when mine needs doing

Comment

Originally posted by Plym Ian View Post
                            Foes anyone know if you need any timing tools to do the cambelt?
                            Wouldn’t mind giving it ago when mine needs doing
                            People have done it without locking kit. It oughty pends how confident you are.

I used the locking kit when I did mine last week, Asked for a quote from local Stealer wanted just over £300 and that's without the water pump. I can bye a cambelt kit plus locking kit for £94 98 off ebay, no brainer. Water pump in the Gate's kit is of better quality, than the original. Talk about falling in to a pit of s--t and coming out smelling of roses. I was looking at the price of the kit, when grandson walked in, told him I was going to get Christmas over, then I was going to bye the kits. Guess what!! opening presents on Christmas morning, and there was a gates kit and cam lock, that Santa (aka grandson) had bought me.
                            Sport Touror Elite 163

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave71 View Post
                              People have done it without locking kit. It oughty pends how confident you are.

I used the locking kit when I did mine last week, Asked for a quote from local Stealer wanted just over £300 and that's without the water pump. I can bye a cambelt kit plus locking kit for £94 98 off ebay, no brainer. Water pump in the Gate's kit is of better quality, than the original. Talk about falling in to a pit of s--t and coming out smelling of roses. I was looking at the price of the kit, when grandson walked in, told him I was going to get Christmas over, then I was going to bye the kits. Guess what!! opening presents on Christmas morning, and there was a gates kit and cam lock, that Santa (aka grandson) had bought me.
                              Beats the socks i got

Comment

Working...
                              X