Tricky Sump Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricky Sump Plug

I'm about to do an oil change but for what ever reason the sump plug has refused to undo resulting the plug getting some damage!! I've not had this problem before, the plug seems to have got tight in use …. any ideas on how to precede while not causing even more damage to the plug …. new plug already in hand to be replaced … ….

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_plug.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	248796

Try a 'Wall Drive' socket by Sealey,uses the flats not the corners of the hex.
    Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
    Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

At this point i would either
      (1) try a socket that has full flats rather than the 12 small flats.
      (2) grind each flat until smaller socket will fit nice tight fit (knocked on with hammer).
      (3) cold chisel and hammer but be careful not to nick the sump.
      (4) I'v also used a hole saw (for metal) pick one that will self align around hex then remove the centering drill dont break through but by the time you have got 3/4 way through it will be weekend such that pair grips should release it.

Comment

Short sharp hits with hammer on head will loosen threads. Same principle as using an impact wrench. If rounds of anymore swap to an imperial sized socket. If no imperial drop down a size. Easy for me because in my job I have huge socket sets with nearly every size going.

If no look pop into an exhaust place or local garage and ask them to just put their impact wrench on it.

I'd lend you mine but don't know where you are .

Good luck

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
        Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

I'm on 4% oil life so oil change due for me too this week. The torque for the sump plug with a new washer is 25Nm which is very low and shouldn't pose a problem on removal. In my experience Opel garages over tighten the plug, which makes it very difficult to remove. If you have a new plug then try the above and failing that clamp a vice grip on a few times, closing the jaws each time and it should undo. Nothing like saving €100.

Comment

Socket on a long breaker bar has never failed me

Comment

Working...
            X