Coolant Cap Broke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant Cap Broke

So i went to check my levels over the weekend and i went to top up the engine coolant and the cap came off but the bung stayed in place.

Now what would be the best way to fix this?

Do i buy a new bottle and swap them over,

Do i try and get the old one out and just by the cap?

Not sure if this is a common issue or not, will upload a picture in a moment

Quite common across most of the range.

A new complete cap will be fine to buy.. don't think they're too expensive.. I guess price up a new cap vs a used water bottle with cap on eBay

Comment

Don’t know if it’s as easy as that

Comment

Should be able to just lever the middle bit out with a screw driver? The screw thread is on the cap which has now broken off.

Comment

To be fair i didnt attempt to open it, as i didnt have a spare cap and thought at least i can use the car whilst its still in place.

I will get another cap and try and get this out.

Comment

Same thing happened to me. Managed to prise the old cap/bung out ok and just fitted a new one.

Bad design really. I've learnt to work the cap of slowly, and tighten/untighten it very slowly several times on the way out. Gives the rubber o-ring a better chance of un-sticking from the neck of the expansion tank.

Comment

Common vauxhall problem, sometimes the bung can drop into the tank.

Comment

As per still not had time to sort it

Will order one up and do it start of next week as wont be needing the car all weekend

Comment

Working...
                X