Service AFL Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service AFL Warning

Hi, hoping someone can identify with the issue I have with my Xenon Headlamp and maybe help me pinpoint the issue.

My car is a 2009 Insignia Elite 2.0 CDTi

When driving during the day I have no issue. The daytime running lights on the elite are permanently on and work as expected.

When driving in the dark my Service AFL warning message comes up usually after using (or attempting to use the high) beam a few times. It does this whether I use it automatically or pull the stalk.

I have checked the following:

Xenon headlamp bulbs, both work on dipped beam. Drivers' side does not work on high beam.
    I have swapped the drivers' side bulb for a spare one I had, it still does not work on high beam.

Cornering lights, bulbs light up correctly when wheel is turned in the corresponding direction. (At least they do when the car is stationary, difficult to tell when driving but I'll assume they are ok then too.)

Xenon lights 'calibrating' or 'auto-leveling' on startup, still seems to work as normal so movement appears unaffected.

Checked for codes using a simple code reader, nothing shows up although I know garage diagnostics can do more thorough analysis.

I have not yet:

Disconnected the battery overnight which I have seen suggested a few times but I am not sure how this would help.

Swapped out any other bulbs as only the main beam bulb is affected.

Changed the headlight ballast which I have read about but do not actually know what it does, if it controls the movement and I don't have a movement issue, would it need changed?!

Checked fuses, would there be a separate fuse from one high beam to another?!

In summary, my drivers side main beam does not work at any time, even when the passenger side one is on and the blue main beam light is on in the dash. Only after a few minutes use or a few flashes of the main beam does the warning message come up, at which point both high beams don't work until I switch the engine off and it all repeats over again.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

sounds like the shutter for the main beam has stopped working on the drivers side
    ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Well that’s definitely something I haven’t thought of because I didn’t know it existed!

So, is that common? Can I buy the part or is that a full light replacement?

Thanks for your quick response.

Comment

don't know if it can be replaced,,,the dip and main are the same bulb,,when main beam is activated it opens a shutter to let out more light,if you get someone to flash your lights ,with you standing infront of car you will hear the shutters movement
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I would try get opcom plugged into it. It may help you pin point your error message.

Could be a faulty shutter. Could be a faulty AFL ecu.

Comment

May help?

Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Thanks guys, getting closer to the problem I think. Shone the lights on a reflective surface tonight (side of a silver van) 😀. Could see clearly that the passenger side opens up fully on activating high beam and the driver side tries to move up but just moves slightly. That seems like it could well be the shutter.

In terms of opcoms, are there any reliable ones out there to buy at a reasonable price? I got an obd2 reader which is good for certain things but getting sick of paying for diagnostics when that doesn’t work.

Thanks for the links, gave me other things to consider although I’ve previously read the one about ballasts.

Comment

I bought mine from ebay no issues does what I need it to do.

Shouldn't really have a problem with any of them as your only looking at fault codes.

Comment

Quick update, the problem isn’t solved but I opened the top access point on my headlight units and got my wife to operate the lights. When main beam is turned on the shutter turns from a rounded side to a flat side to let more light out. Unfortunately that only works on the passenger side so that’s my problem, not sure what the cause is but it’s not turning over like the passenger side. Am I best just replacing the headlamp unit or is there a chance that won’t solve the problem? I checked all the wiring and connections I could see inside the unit and they look ok visually.

Comment

afl headlights don't come cheap,,even 2nd hand ones

don't know if the little electrical component that operates the shutter could be replaced or not,,and if it could be,could it be replaced witout opening the headlight.
                    if it was mine ,id be on the lokk out for a 2nd hand headlight

heres one

Comment

Christ, not cheap at all! Might try an opcom first then, see if a code comes up. At least I’m almost guaranteed I’ll get the use out of it. Love the elite but it’s just more things to go wrong, bloody heated seat went on the blink now, just in time for winter of course. 😬

Cheers for the reply 👍🏻

Comment

The motor that controls the shutter is probably ok it'll be the wires going in that's the problem. The earlier units had shorter wires causing breaks in wires. If you can pick up a 2011 onwards headlight they redesigned them with longer wires which are held in position with a zip clip so that they don't bend where they enter the movable unit. My 2009 had problems on and off for 3 years and when I eventually found out it was the wires I tried lengthening them by soldering in a new section but I think the last few bits of movement with me working on it finally broke what strands were left and the break must of been at the very point the wire disappears into unit. It was very tight trying to solder thru where the bulb access is.
                        I managed to pick up a 2011 light and its working fine now with no errors for months.

Comment

Just repaired mine after a few years of jip, found a passenger unit on gumtree for £200 which was easier than the £1300 my local dealer wanted!
                          Got my local auto electrics to diagnose which identified a faulty internal actuator.
                          The replacement unit was plug and play and immediately got rid of the amber dash light

Comment

Working...
                          X