Leaking Steering Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Steering Rack

I have a leak that goes from tiny to leaking a whole tank of steering fluid in a day. I have replaced the seals in the pressure pipes. The pump isn't leaking. I am struggling to see where the oil is leaking from but I suspect the end of the drivers side of the the rack.

Are there seals on the ends of the rack where the ties rods are? If so, are they replaceable? I'm hoping not to have to replace the rack but I'm slowly losing hope.

Leaking pressure pipes

I believe the seals have failed on the pipes. I tried to use Threebond 1104 and I don't have the correct O rings. Do you know what size the O rings are? I have attached a picture of the faulty pipes. The grey material is the Threebond. The copper seal is what I bought from Vauxhall but they are totally wrong. (The screw has been removed)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Insignia pipes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	242678

Name:	IMG_20181024_150658.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	242679

Comment

I've found the part number 13271030 which are special order from Germany at the very reasonable price of £23 EACH! Not bad for a couple of O rings eh?

Comment

If you are positive that the part number you have is correct, you could save a few quid on GPS:

Name:	Capture.JPG
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	242681

I replaced the high pressure pipe on mine a while back, and the copper seal you have looks like the one that goes on the high pressure pipe where it connects on to the power steering pump.

I wanted to change the seals at the rack end, and was given this part:

Name:	35B0FC89-5537-4A5C-91AB-0BED3A84328C.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	242680

Name:	45FB2EF2-C71C-4CBA-90A3-92EC1305F5DB.jpg
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	242682

It does have a slit in it, and could be pushed over the pipe, but just didn’t seem right somehow. In the end, no seal came out when I removed the old pipe from the rack, so I just shoved the new pipe in and it’s been fine thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by puppet View Post
          If you are positive that the part number you have is correct, you could save a few quid on GPS:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]466[/ATTACH]

I replaced the high pressure pipe on mine a while back, and the copper seal you have looks like the one that goes on the high pressure pipe where it connects on to the power steering pump.

I wanted to change the seals at the rack end, and was given this part:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]467[/ATTACH]

It does have a slit in it, and could be pushed over the pipe, but just didn’t seem right somehow. In the end, no seal came out when I removed the old pipe from the rack, so I just shoved the new pipe in and it’s been fine thankfully.
          I got 2 of these when I had to change the pipes on my 09 elite which were not done despite being confirmed as so. My understanding is that they are to seal the opening once the pipes are removed, to seal the hole and prevent dirt ingress. They serve no other purpose. I did not use them. They definitely do not go as pictured above, though thats what i was thinking too.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            I believe the seals have failed on the pipes. I tried to use Threebond 1104 and I don't have the correct O rings. Do you know what size the O rings are? I have attached a picture of the faulty pipes. The grey material is the Threebond. The copper seal is what I bought from Vauxhall but they are totally wrong. (The screw has been removed)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461[/ATTACH]
            That seal is for the power steering pump.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I am waiting for the replacements seals to come in from Vauxhall. I'll let you know if it cures the problem. I hope so as they are £23 each.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I am waiting for the replacements seals to come in from Vauxhall. I'll let you know if it cures the problem. I hope so as they are £23 each.
                Was gonna say where are you, in my job we have custom sized o rings made, have 100's on the shelf and usually next day delivery on custom sizes. Most o rings have a set size, but inside dia, outside dia and cut old o ring and measure cross section.
                Lots of places that make o rings and at a 10th of the price you will pay.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Hi Matt. I'm near Colchester, Essex. I did look for o rings online but could only find 1.5mm and I think they are probably 1mm. Though I don't have a new one to measure from.

Comment

I had those pipes out a few weeks ago and the black seals with the slit were present. It seems easier to place them in the holes first then install the pipes. Just be careful tightening the bolt on the plate that holds the pipes in as it needs torqued to 19nm and I couldn't get my torque wrench down there. I over tightened it with a ratchet and socket and the bolt snapped in the rack. Luckily I manage to get the snapped section out and replaced it. I had the subframe dropped at the time so luckily I had room to work on getting the bolt out. But working from the top with rack in place its tricky access to the bolt I found

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461[/ATTACH]
                      Whether it matters or not at this stage but I've just copped the pipe flange is the wrong side of the clamp. At any rate those rubber seals are only for sealing during repair.

Comment

Working...
                      X