Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack - MOT failure.

I've got a 2010 2.0 cdti.
    Just failed, one issue is the steering rack is leaking and needs replacing.
    Have been quoted £435 to supply and fit, does that sound reasonable?
    Can I find a replacement with the reg and vin, he was ages on the phone to the parts place, seemed difficult to pinpoint which rack I needed.
    What would one cost in labour to fit?

Thanks.

Originally posted by golfpaul View Post
    I've got a 2010 2.0 cdti.
    Just failed, one issue is the steering rack is leaking and needs replacing.
    Have been quoted £435 to supply and fit, does that sound reasonable?
    Can I find a replacement with the reg and vin, he was ages on the phone to the parts place, seemed difficult to pinpoint which rack I needed.
    What would one cost in labour to fit?

Thanks.
    To do a rack I'd say about 1-2 hours at the worst. Is yours an electric or hydraulic rack?

Comment

I don't know mate, like I said can I check anywhere with the vin or reg?
      I can see reconditioned racks online for around d 150 which sounds more reasonable.

Comment

Itll be a hydraulic rack with it been a 10 plate,,dont think the electric ones came on the scene till a 61
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Thanks all.
          It's a 60 plate, still hydraulic you reckon?

Anyone know where I can get one for a decent price?

Comment

itll be hydraulic if theres a fluid reservoir,,the electric ones don't have a resevoir
            ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Surly the clue is in the “steering rack is leaking” as to which one it is.

Comment

Pretty sure subframe needs to be dropped to get to rack so prob more than 1-2 hours work

Comment

Today went to my usual garage regarding the mot repairs, and was told steering rack doesn't need replacing, plus initial garage missed the broken rear spring.

Don't ya just love the inconsistencies of the MOT rigmarole...

Comment

That’s quite scary, just think how much it would have cost you

Comment

Exactly.
                      I'm glad I went!

Comment

Originally posted by golfpaul View Post
                        Don't ya just love the inconsistencies of the MOT rigmarole...
                        Absolutely agree, there is no consistency and no quality assurance check. You just hope you will find that decent garage that you can rely on everytime and won't rip you off in repair cost and those fixes not needed.

I also think it is worth going to about 2 other garages just to check if they all say the same thing. 1 say there is a problem, 2nd one say no problem, and the 3rd is the final judge.

Comment

Same with going to the doctors, if i have my doubts about the doctor, then i see another doctor for a second opinion.

Comment

Understand.
                            But it's very time consuming visiting numerous garages.
                            You expect an MOT to be uniform throughout, it just isnt.
                            They've gone all hot on the paperwork side, and adding extra things to test - it's a shame the testers all have different hymn sheets!

Comment

Working...
                            X