Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dashcam Help Please!

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this isn’t the right thread so mods/admins please feel free to move if necessary.

This is a question about using an add a fuse into either fuse 6 or 7 in the fuse box behind the glovebox.

I have a 2016 elite with both these locations already having 20 amp fuses in them for I believe the cig lighter in fuse 6 and the power socket in fuse 7.

Is there a maximum amount of amps these locations can handle? If for instance I use a 3 amp fuse for the dashcam would I still use the existing 20 amp fuse or will I need to change that for a different one, and if so, what size would I need please?

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Cheers

Rick

Just use a piggyback fuse--so that you will still have your 20amp and with the piggyback you can put the 3 amp fuse in for the dashcam--the heavy load will be on your cig lighter where as the dashcam with just be a very light load on the circuit.---if that makes sense------Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1419 View Post
      Just use a piggyback fuse--so that you will still have your 20amp and with the piggyback you can put the 3 amp fuse in for the dashcam--the heavy load will be on your cig lighter where as the dashcam with just be a very light load on the circuit.---if that makes sense------Dave

Brilliant Dave, thank you very much!

A quick side note, the Dashcam has a parking mode. Will this be functional using fuse 6/7 & the hardwire kit with a ground and a fused live only or would I use a different fuse and/or need additional wiring?

Cheers
      Rick

Comment

You might have to find a fused constant live I would imagine--you will need to check the wiring diagram with your dashcam-----Dave

Comment

Thanks very much Dave.

Comment

My Nextbase 512g requires a switched live so it will switch on automatically when I start the car. Parking mode requires a permanent live power supply to the camera which means you will have to switch the camera on manually when you start up and change the mode from parking to record. Bit of a faff if you ask me.
            2015 Sri VX Line Nav Biturbo in white. Heated Leather,Reversing camera,Sport Button,tour Button,Privacy glass,Voice,Tailgate light mod.

Comment

the parking function relies on the battery in the camera I think,if mine gets knocked with no keys in the ignition it comes on for a short time ,and mine is only wired into the switched live ,fuse 7
              ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Thanks lads, I think I'll use fuse 6 or 7 then.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                  the parking function relies on the battery in the camera I think,if mine gets knocked with no keys in the ignition it comes on for a short time ,and mine is only wired into the switched live ,fuse 7
                  same as this.

Comment

Lads, it looks like the load side is on the bottom side of fuse 6/7. Does this mean then that my add a fuse will have its tail pointing upwards to allow the load to be at the bottom? I ask as I’m sure I saw on another post that the tail needs to be pointing down in the glovebox fusebox.

Comment

Working...
                    X