Regen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regen

Hearing a lot about regen in the insignias. What are they and how do you know if the car is doing a regen ?

Originally posted by Luke88 View Post
    Hearing a lot about regen in the insignias. What are they and how do you know if the car is doing a regen ?
    Sore point with me. Plenty here to help you [emoji23]

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Lots of pages filled with info on here, have a look around.
      In a nutshell,
      Incomplete combustion of diesel fuel - typically under acceleration - results in diesel particulates, tiny bits of part burnt fuel, which previously went out the exhaust.
      In order to meet EU regulations a system was developed to trap these particulates and stop them entering the atmosphere as they are carcinogens
      This is the Diesel Particulate Filter DPF, it is what it says, its a particle filter trapping particles - soot - in the exhaust gas stream.
      Obviously the filter will become blocked as the level of particulates trapped increases
      In order to clear/clean the filter the engine control unit modifies the normal control of the diesel injection process
      Diesel fuel is injected into the cylinder after the combustion process but before the exhaust stroke.
      This results in an exhaust vapour rich in diesel which burns in the DPF raising the temperature and burning off the soot which is clogging the DPF
      It normally lasts 10-15 mins during which time fuel combustion will increase due to the extra fuel used post combustion
      At idle its quite noticeable due to higher revs to keep the exhaust temperature up to complete the process but during normal driving its more difficult to spot
      A regen will be triggered when the difference in exhaust pressure in front of and behind the DPF reaches a certain threshold and other criteria are met e.g. engine speed/temperature etc.
      A quick ladybird guide

Comment

Originally posted by Luke88 View Post
        its not just an Insignia thing,,all diesel cars after a certain year have a dpf
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
          its not just an Insignia thing,,all diesel cars after a certain year have a dpf
          In fairness Opel Ireland introduced DPF's on the Zafiria in 2006 long before they were mandatory. I know because I had it taken out (before they were mandatory) after a vacuum leak caused constant over-fueling leading to DPF blockage. Having said that my 2012 Biturbo just hit 275,000kms (170k miles) today [oil and air filter ready to go on tomorrow] with no DPF issues to date. Touch wood. It does a regen about once every 900kms (560miles) or once a week to me.

Comment

Working...
          X