This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karsta View Post
    In some modern cars especially in the dark conditions, I feel the stock rear LED indicators and brake lights are very bright , almost blinding when sitting behind them. But this surprises me. Aren't they supposed to be seen clearly? Of course blinding is a bit different, but still, are they really that bright?
    Yes they are. I got level with them when I got back home and you can't look at them, they are too bright.

Comment

I've taken mine out and covered the end LEDs chips and a row of the chips on the side to tone them down a bit. Here's a before and after shot and a short video of them working.

2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
        I've taken mine out and covered the end LEDs chips and a row of the chips on the side to tone them down a bit. Here's a before and after shot and a short video of them working.

The tape is a good idea, does it reduce the brightness a lot?

Comment

It's trial and error at the moment but I think so. It's not eye piercing when you look directly into them but I think the real test will be at night when our eyes are adjusted for the dark.

I'm pretty confident that sorted it but I'll add more tape if it's still to bright. It's Gorilla Tape by the way....Very sticky so hopefully it won't come unstuck. I held the bulb in my hand while it was flashing and it stays cool.
          2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

I just remembered I have footage from when I first fitted them so here is the video of them with the tape on and below that the video without the tape.

Comment

I just remembered I have footage from when I first fitted them so here is the video of them with the tape on and below that the video without the tape.

That's definitely made a difference, let us know what they're like at night please Marko.

Comment

I still think they're a bit bright in the dark. i might cover a bit more. it's deffo gonna be sorted rather than losing the leds though.

Comment

Originally posted by cmor View Post
                  That's definitely made a difference, let us know what they're like at night please Marko.
                  Your car is begging for a twin exhaust

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                  Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                    I can't. Vx said if I put one on my engine warranty is void. They won't even put one on for me.

Comment

The difference is noticeable, although I guess the video doesn't fully show how bright they are without covering, particularly in the dark. It's probably safe to assume the same issue is present in Sports Tourer if same bulbs are used.

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                        You mean like this

[IMG]IMG_20181110_105620 by Graham Knox, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_20181110_105102 by Graham Knox, on Flickr[/IMG]
                        Last edited by cmor; 10-11-2018, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I've used Dave's idea of paint. I had some black engine enamel sitting around for some reason so I added that to the LED's.

I completely blocked two sides and blocked four LED's on the other two sides - this seems to match the light level of the halogen bulbs now. Not sure if they will last or not though.

[IMG]IMG_20181110_104352 by Graham Knox, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

Have you blocked the end chips too?

Comment

Have you blocked the end chips too?
                              No I left them clear. It's the reflected light that is too bright. Cars with factory fit LED indicators don't have them in reflectors, I think that's where the problem is.

Comment

Ah ok. Keep us informed with pics if you can. Don't you find getting the lights off after undoing the plastic fixing nuts hard?

Comment

Working...
                                X