Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Insignia 1.8 SRI - Losing coolant

Hi all,

New to the forum so hope you can help. I'm not mechanically minded but thankfully have a couple of friends who are! I have had my Insignia 12 months, and have had problems with losing coolant throughout. Thankfully last time, it was under a warranty and a raft of work was done after i was given bad advice and the car cut out and wouldn't start again.

I now have another leak and we have found it and replaced a core plug. There is no longer a leak but the coolant is fine whilst idling but as soon as i drive, it literally bubbles over. One friend has suggested that there could be air in the system and suggested i remove the cap and see if the coolant level lowers. It does so he may be right - hopefully so. However, i have seen threads on here that suggest it could be the EGR? From experience does anyone think this may be the case.

I don't want to drive it currently so any help appreciated - it is quite literally doing my head in!
    Kind regards. M

Don't think on that engine you have an EGR,there was not one on my Vectra with the same engine,what you need to do is get the car onto some diagnostics to see what faults are present,is the oil in the engine clean and the same in the header tank---if there is any water/coolant in the system it will show by being milky in looks.the water pump on these engines are prone to fail--has it been changed at all.when the heating is on is it red hot,if not the thermostat might want changing--again another common fault--if you do decide to change these parts you really need to use genuine and not some cheap ones.when you want to bleed the heating/cooling system you need to leave the cap off--start the car and run it until it gets up to temp and keep topping up the header tank,switch the car off and put the cap back on and run the car again--check all the hoses and see if they are hot--they should all be more or less the same temp.if not then as I say it could be the thermostat or the waterpump,but you do need to get the codes read------Dave

Comment

Working...
    X