Insignia Sri 1.8 hesitation and misfire problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insignia Sri 1.8 hesitation and misfire problem

Hi all, I’m having an absolute nightmare of a time with my car at the moment.

Symptoms-

As soon as I start the car I get the “service vehicle soon” warning on the dash. The car seems to drive ok, maybe a bit sluggish, but nothing too noticeable. All is well until the car warms up to anything over 95 degrees and then the car begins to stumble and hesitate. Keep driving and the hesitations get so bad that the car starts to kangaroo and becomes undriveable to the point where you need to stop. The engine warning light then comes on and the “engine stabili trak” message appears on the dash and the car fuel system switches to open loop.

You don’t need to actually drive the car for any of the above to happen. By just starting the car and letting it idle for long enough to get the temp up to over 95 ish degrees, all the same symptoms will happen.

If you let the car cool down. It starts/drives fine again except from the “service vehicle now” message that appears every time you start the car. Then when the car heats up again the whole problem is repeated.

Code reader brings up P0300 random misfire when the engine warning like eventually comes on. No other codes.

Fuel trim seems to indicate that the car is running rich as the long term trim sits around -10%, but have seen it reach -16%

Things that have been changed

Coil pack (although not a Delphi as some recomend)
    Spark plugs
    Both o2 sensors
    Had injectors out and they seem to open and close fine, so not leaking.

I was going to change the crankshaft sensor. I’ve read that it can start to fail when it heats up, but I can’t seem to find the sensor on the engine. Ive found the plug but it almost looks like wire disappears into the engine. If anyone has replaced one on an insignia some pointers would be appreciated.

Car has been pressure tested and was ok.

Sorry for the long post, but would be very great full for any advice you could give.

Dave

I would have gone for the coil pack too, (and I suppose it could always be a faulty replacement). My next option would be the crank sensor, which I have no experience of changing on a Siggy, sorry. I hope someone here will come up with some good advice for you.

Comment

Thank for the reply. A faulty replacement coil pack did cross my mind but, not sure how likely this is though.

Cheers
      Dave

Comment

May help?

Insignia Elite Nav 2ltr SIDI Turbo 250PS, Pearlescent Emerald Green, VX-Line Interior, VX-Line Exterior Styling Kit, Premium Brandy Nappa Sports Leather, 20" Elite Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels, 8" Digital Drivers Display, Bose Premium Audio System, Front Camera Pack, Rear View Camera, Adaptive Cruise Control, Advanced Park Assist, Rear Privacy Glass, Keyless Entry & Start, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Factory Fitted Towbar

Comment

Thanks, will have a read.

Comment

anyone else have any advice?

Cheers
            Dave

Comment

get it into vx,on their diagnostics,may take you right to the fault
              ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

Crank sensor on my old Veccy b was under the engine, car drove like a pig, took me ages to track fault. 30 mins later and skin from knuckles it was running a dream. This was agfter weeks of changing everything ppl suggested, renewing vac pipes the lot.

As Dave suggest, a proper code read before, during and after fault will pinpoint the exact issue.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Cheers guys. Will have another crawl under the car and see if I can get to this crankshaft sensor again. Failing that it’s back to another garage. The last garage used a Snap on reader and only got p0300 misfire code and a Knock sensor code.

Comment

code is pointing to the MAF sensor mate

try this

Vauxhall Insignia P0300 OBD-II Diagnostic Powertrain (P) Trouble Code Information Page. Reason for Vauxhall Insignia P0300 and find the solution for the code Vauxhall Insignia P0300 , we'll give to how to fix Vauxhall Insignia P0300 trouble code problem.

Comment

Just back from another garage. This time was plugged into a Bosch diagnostics machine. Got code P0328 Knock Sensor Circuit High Input
                      But think this may be because it’s picking up the misfire. Regardless, I will remove it and check it with a volt meter (when I find the knock sensor that is)

We watched the live data from all the cylinders and noticed that it’s cylinder 3 that’s repeatedly misfiring.

Does this narrow that cause down any?

Cheers

Comment

Double post

Comment

Back to another garage who traced the problem back to the ECU. Found water had got into the plug. This was cleaned out dried and fitted back together. No more misfire, no more MIL light. The car no longer over heats and no longer goes into limp mode.

I’m now able to drive the car as normal again.

BUT....

About every second time I start the car. The Service vehicle now message appears on the screen for a few seconds and then disappears again. No symptoms or Codes.

WHY? ☹️

Comment

Working...
                          X