2018 insignia centre console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 insignia centre console

I think my problem might be unique. Going to the gym and exiting the car I took off my very expensive watch and opened the sprung storage lid that is to the rear of the gear-shift boot. I dropped in my watch for 'safe keeping' and went to the gym. Upon return to my car I open the lid to discover my watch was missing. I thought that somehow my car had been entered and the watch stolen. Some time later I opened the same lid and noticed that it did not open all the way to vertical. I checked on a friends identical 2018 Insignia and his opened to the vertical position. It dawned on me that when I dropped my watch in the storage I must have done so with the lid half way open and the watch slipped down in the gap between the lid and the edge of the aperture. I have tried slipping thin wire down the retrieve the watch but have been unable to get it as the face of the inner moulding closely follows that of the arc of the lid (if that makes sense). To have a dealer remove the complete console will be extremely expensive, about as much as the cost of the watch. Are there any thoughts about how I can get my watch out or to partially dismantle some of the trim. I am pretty desperate to solve this problem. Please can a member advise?
    Stuart

Originally posted by stuartsmith View Post
    I think my problem might be unique. Going to the gym and exiting the car I took off my very expensive watch and opened the sprung storage lid that is to the rear of the gear-shift boot. I dropped in my watch for 'safe keeping' and went to the gym. Upon return to my car I open the lid to discover my watch was missing. I thought that somehow my car had been entered and the watch stolen. Some time later I opened the same lid and noticed that it did not open all the way to vertical. I checked on a friends identical 2018 Insignia and his opened to the vertical position. It dawned on me that when I dropped my watch in the storage I must have done so with the lid half way open and the watch slipped down in the gap between the lid and the edge of the aperture. I have tried slipping thin wire down the retrieve the watch but have been unable to get it as the face of the inner moulding closely follows that of the arc of the lid (if that makes sense). To have a dealer remove the complete console will be extremely expensive, about as much as the cost of the watch. Are there any thoughts about how I can get my watch out or to partially dismantle some of the trim. I am pretty desperate to solve this problem. Please can a member advise?
    Stuart
    If you post a picture, that could help. There isn't many fixings to remove the centre console.

Is it an insignia B?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewish View Post
      If you post a picture, that could help. There isn't many fixings to remove the centre console.

Is it an insignia B?
      Hi Lewish
      Thanks for the reply. Its taken me awhile to get the photos done and here they are, or do you want to see all of the console?Click image for larger version

Name:	insignia (4).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	242728Click image for larger version

Name:	insignia (3).jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	242729Click image for larger version

Name:	insignia (2).jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	242730Click image for larger version

Name:	insignia (1).jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	242731

Comment

I would hazard a guess that the piano black trim is just clipped in place.

Also I imagine the gearstick gator is clipped in place, just removing that might give you enough access.

Comment

Any idea about removing the gearshift gator without scratching the shiny black top. I had thought of that and tried a small screwdriver resting
          on a piece of cloth but the rick of it slipping is high.

Comment

I wouldn't use anything like that, you are sure to scratch something.

On my mk1 insignia, you can push your fingers into the gator and under the trim then pull up.

You have to pull up seriously hard though.

Comment

Remove the plastic trim and each side of the centre console and see if you can see or reach it. There shouldn't be that many bolts to lift the console up

Comment

Did you manage to sort this Stuart? I have an issue with the storage compartment not shutting and getting the trim off would help

Comment

Working...
                X