Service ESP fault when steering right full lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service ESP fault when steering right full lock

I'm new here, just registered, and this is my first thread so hello to all!

I drive a 2010 Insignia 2.0 CDTI ecoflex Sports Tourer (although at 11 litres / 100km or 21 MPG I can't say why it has "eco" anything on it) and I've recently started having an issue with what seems to be my front right wheel speed sensor. Whenever I turn the wheel fully to the right I get a "Service ESP" message in the dash and all assists die: ABS, traction control, esp.

After I restart the car, normal schedule is resumed. The warning goes away and all the assists work just fine. That is until I turn the wheel fully to the right again. This happens every time I turn the steering wheel to the right. It makes no difference at what speed or if I'm reversing or standing still.

Suspecting it might be the wheel speed sensors, I jacked up the car, took both front wheels off and made sure the cables were relaxed all the way, not at all tight no matter how I turned the wheels. Also gave them a good clean and used some waterproofing electrical grease on the contacts.

I took the car to have the error code scanned and it said there's an issue with the front right wheel speed sensor. They said I should replace it but they are not sure if it is the sensor's fault.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the VX Gremlins, and by Lord they have a few, mine takes off on its own in 3rd, and if you dont brake hard, you will *WAT the car in front of you
    but the strange thing is it performs perfect in any other gear throttle response is spot on...so I expect its a another VX Gremlin...

Comment

Can you not swap sensors around, not looking at them, to prove the point of dodgy sensor, then the fault would appear on the Left Side

Originally posted by i.rosca80 View Post
      I'm new here, just registered, and this is my first thread so hello to all!

I drive a 2010 Insignia 2.0 CDTI ecoflex Sports Tourer (although at 11 litres / 100km or 21 MPG I can't say why it has "eco" anything on it) and I've recently started having an issue with what seems to be my front right wheel speed sensor. Whenever I turn the wheel fully to the right I get a "Service ESP" message in the dash and all assists die: ABS, traction control, esp.

After I restart the car, normal schedule is resumed. The warning goes away and all the assists work just fine. That is until I turn the wheel fully to the right again. This happens every time I turn the steering wheel to the right. It makes no difference at what speed or if I'm reversing or standing still.

Suspecting it might be the wheel speed sensors, I jacked up the car, took both front wheels off and made sure the cables were relaxed all the way, not at all tight no matter how I turned the wheels. Also gave them a good clean and used some waterproofing electrical grease on the contacts.

I took the car to have the error code scanned and it said there's an issue with the front right wheel speed sensor. They said I should replace it but they are not sure if it is the sensor's fault.

Any ideas?

Comment

itll be the sensor,,the wires will break inside from all the right/left steering motion,,easy and cheap fix,takes longer to take wheel off
        ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

As said by exclusiv above,changed mine a few months back
          Insignia Elite 16T,Royal Blue non Nav. + added,
          Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Thanks guys! Great idea to switch them, the issue is the left one is stuck good and proper. I'll get a new one and try it. It seemed odd to me that it only fails when steering fully to the right. I'll post back after. In the meantime if anyone has other opinions i'll be happy to hear them out.

Comment

Originally posted by i.rosca80 View Post
              Thanks guys! Great idea to switch them, the issue is the left one is stuck good and proper. I'll get a new one and try it. It seemed odd to me that it only fails when steering fully to the right. I'll post back after. In the meantime if anyone has other opinions i'll be happy to hear them out.
              100% Guarantee ,its the speed sensor
              ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I am just about to order a new sensor. Would anyone recommend a certain manufacturer over another?
                My choices are:
                • AIC (product code: 55821)
                • TRW (product code: GBS2152)
                • Metzger (product code: 0900691)
                • Vemo (product code: V40-72-0567)

The shop claims the TRW are OEM but, as an unsatisfied TRW brake disks and pads former owner, I'm not convinced of their quality even though they are the most expensive.

I am also interested in knowing if the cable length differs from one manufacturer to another because when I researched my issue I found people claiming their sensor cable was too short and failed because it was being pulled tight when steering. I tried researching this but the specs I found don't mention the length.

Comment

I've used Bosch and ATE.
                  Heko Wind Deflectors,Alloy Pedal Covers.Led full Interior,Polished Alloy Door Pins,Osram Diadem Opel Rear indicator Bulbs,Led Reverse Light Upgrade,Gear Surround Red Leds,Led reg plate lights,Nighteye Fog lamp Bulbs,Osram Night Breaker Laser Cornering Bulbs,Rear Sunblinds,Nextbase 522GW front/rear window cam,upgraded front speakers,SS Exhaust,6000k Xenon Bulbs,Thinkdiag Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Howy View Post
                    I've used Bosch and ATE.
                    I would've gone for Bosch but they weren't offering it. I went with Metzger instead. The part is due to arrive today. I'll replace it over the weekend probably.

Comment

Hello again! I've just changed my sensor today and glad to say that I am now a happy winter driver. No more ESP fault no matter what direction or how hard I steer. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by exclusiv. View Post
                          100% Guarantee ,its the speed sensor
                          mines a pint then

Comment

Comment

Sorry to jump on an old thread guys but I have the same issue, is there a How To for fitting new sensors or are they so simple it isn't needed? Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X