X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roverspeed View Post
    [ATT[ATTACH=CONFIG]682[/ATTACH]ACH=CONFIG]682[/ATTACH]

This is the dipped beam with the specifications shown above
    I saw this thread and it reminded me of I believe your post over these projectors. Though are they LED?

Seen these on Ali express though I don't fancy destroying my AFLs to fit these

Comment

Originally posted by Jon199102 View Post
      I saw this thread and it reminded me of I believe your post over these projectors. Though are they LED?

Seen these on Ali express though I don't fancy destroying my AFLs to fit these
      Hiya,

Dipped beam are h1 mini bixenon projectors with morimoto 5500k h1 bulbs and 35 watt fast start ballasts.

I had considered morimoto biled projectors but couldn't justify the extra cost when the light output wasn't quite as good as xenon.

I have additional led projectors for main beam, as the bixenons don't flash when they are off during the day. Though they do of course give additional light on main beams.

I imagine my next build will be all LED.

Comment

Originally posted by Hisham El Zanatti View Post
        Hi roverspeed, thanks for your input I have searched to get morimoto hid in Egypt and I found the kit with 5000 K.
        Can I have your review on morimoto hid and if you have pics. That will be great.
        BTW the price is about 200$ for the 35W and that which the supplier recommended for me however I prefer the 50 W.
        Your opinions matter.
        Thank you so much.
        I'd recommend against the 50 watt ballasts.

I did extensive research when building my lights and also wanted 50 watt ballasts. But my research led me to find that 50 watt accelerates the aging of the projector bowls, literally burning the mirror finish away.

Comment

Dear roverspeed,
          I went to morimoto dealer in Egypt and installed a kit for my friend in insignia as well, but the technician was very bad and have to data about safety nor fixation the ballast !! he burned out a bulb and igniter while installing !!!
          frankly speaking I feel bad toward installing the a kit specially morimoto kit is triple the price of any chines unknown brand, i thought the is because of the quality and the professionality of the dealer but unfortunately I disappointed
          Please send me the picture of your car and the location of the ballast and the rest of the kit as I am thinking to install the kit by myself.

[B]HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR ALL OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES.

Comment

Originally posted by Hisham El Zanatti View Post
            Dear roverspeed,
            I went to morimoto dealer in Egypt and installed a kit for my friend in insignia as well, but the technician was very bad and have to data about safety nor fixation the ballast !! he burned out a bulb and igniter while installing !!!
            frankly speaking I feel bad toward installing the a kit specially morimoto kit is triple the price of any chines unknown brand, i thought the is because of the quality and the professionality of the dealer but unfortunately I disappointed
            Please send me the picture of your car and the location of the ballast and the rest of the kit as I am thinking to install the kit by myself.

[B]HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR ALL OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES.
            Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hope very much that the morimotor dealer didn't charge you money still? Are they official morimoto dealers?

I'm afraid I can't have a picture of my ballasts as you can see them. My headlights are total retrofit, so when I had the headlights removed, I screwed the ballasts to the bottom of the headlights themselves, they can only be accessed by taking the headlights out in my case. In fact, all my wiring is internal as per the normal lights.

I must admit the Insignia engine bay doesn't have much room in it though. The passenger side (in your case) should be easier to locate the ballast in front of the airbox

There is a little space under the headlight.

Very good double sided tape may be good enough, but cable ties or screws are more preferable.

I honestly don't know how he messed up the wiring, it's 2 wires!

Comment

If you're still interested, here are a couple of pics of my setup:

The ballast is stuck to the metal frame of the car using outdoor foamy double sided tape. Wiped everything down multiple times with acetone to give the tape the best chance of sticking. So far, so good. They are located beneath and behind the headlamps, hopefully its clear from the pictures. I used the foamy type so that it has a bit of give and hopefully dampens the vibrations a bit. If I had any sort of plastic components nearby, I probably would have drilled a hole and screwed the modules in as well as taping them.

In the images with the cable close ups you can see the canbus module (the small black plastic box) beside the fuse box on the right side and between the headlamp and the air filter box on the left side. I also taped them down the same way to the nearest flat piece of metal frame of the car after taking those pictures.

In terms of wiring, it was pretty straight forward. My kit did come with instructions and a diagram of how to wire everything up. I doubt that Morimoto would ship products without instructions but in any case you can find this sort of documentation on theretrofitsource website.

It was a 5 hour job.

Comment

Working...
              X