Adblue - how much and how often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adblue - how much and how often?

I'm aware that my 67 plate 170 motor will need Adblue at some point in the future but just a few questions:

1) Do I have to wait for the first dash warning or can I just top up every so often, say with every fifth fill of diesel?

2) If I wait for the first warning, how do I know how much Adblue to put in?

3) Can you overfill with Adblue?

Thanks guys
    Insignia B Sports Tourer Elite 170 manual, Flip Chip.

Originally posted by GTR View Post
    I'm aware that my 67 plate 170 motor will need Adblue at some point in the future but just a few questions:

1) Do I have to wait for the first dash warning or can I just top up every so often, say with every fifth fill of diesel?

2) If I wait for the first warning, how do I know how much Adblue to put in?

3) Can you overfill with Adblue?

Thanks guys
    Ok did mine for first time other week. First warning flashed at about 1495 miles to go. Then i got the next about 900 miles to go.
    I bought 10L and only got approximately 6L in. As to overfilling, the manual says you should always fill right up so it registers.
    I just poured slowly with the long bendy spout until it stopped, let car rest for a few minutes then tried to get more in. Level was at top of tank. Just wiped the small spillage up and top back on.
    As for topping up every so often, cant see it doing any harm. I am personally going to wait until the first warning then do it. From what i have read, depending on driving style you will need to top up every 3k - 5k miles.

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
    Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Thanks Matt, very useful info.
      Insignia B Sports Tourer Elite 170 manual, Flip Chip.

Comment

Hi.

I also have a 67 plate Insignia Estate. 170.

Contrary to your findings (sorry)......

What I have found is that when the Ad Blue screen warning comes on with 900 miles to go, I simply add a full 10 litre tub into the ad blue filler cap and it simply swallows the lot first time. I have done this about 6 times so far.

No overspill at all, car continues to drive perfectly and the screen message disappears for the next 2 months or so.

Hope this helps all those unsure as to how much ad blue your car can hold.

Comment

With my van I get warnings at 1200,600,300 and every 50 miles after that. Just like screen wash just fill it til you can’t get anymore in and if you take it to the limit like 0 miles on the range just make sure you don’t turn it off if you haven’t got ad blue to top it up as it won’t start again. My van takes 10 litres to every 5000 miles so I fill mine every month

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Cox View Post
            Hi.

I also have a 67 plate Insignia Estate. 170.

Contrary to your findings (sorry)......

What I have found is that when the Ad Blue screen warning comes on with 900 miles to go, I simply add a full 10 litre tub into the ad blue filler cap and it simply swallows the lot first time. I have done this about 6 times so far.

No overspill at all, car continues to drive perfectly and the screen message disappears for the next 2 months or so.

Hope this helps all those unsure as to how much ad blue your car can hold.
            The adblue tank on the Insignia B is bigger than the Insignia A, on the B it's 15 litres, I think the A was just 10 litres. So long as you fill up before it runs out you will be ok. You get a final warning when if you dont it will stop you from starting. I generally fill up with a 10 litre can but in some filling stations you can now get it on pump. I don't think you can overfill.

Comment

An old thread I know but my 67 plate 2l Insignia B has just been filled for the first time since I bought it in Dec 21. I filled it when the warning came up saying '550 miles until engine start prevented' (the warning that you can't cancel) and it drank ten litres without spills. I will use this as a benchmark in future, keeps it all simple - buy, fill, bin bottle, and off you go again. No chance of leaks into the boot that way

Comment

When mines showed the permanent refill message I manage to put almost 15 liter in it. It was drinking AdBlue if it was diesel, 900 km range was gone in just 10 km. Turned out to be a defect NOx sensor. Now fixed and the AdBlue level is still 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJoe View Post
                  An old thread I know but my 67 plate 2l Insignia B has just been filled for the first time since I bought it in Dec 21. I filled it when the warning came up saying '550 miles until engine start prevented' (the warning that you can't cancel) and it drank ten litres without spills. I will use this as a benchmark in future, keeps it all simple - buy, fill, bin bottle, and off you go again. No chance of leaks into the boot that way
                  I have kept a record of mine since I bought it. Over the past 35,118 miles I have used on average 10 litres of adblue every 5,017 miles with a low of 3,544 miles and a high of 6,600 miles. The average is dragged down due to towing my second home. The cost of adblue has just shot up. I was paying around £8.50-£8.90 per 10 litres but when I last filled up it was £15.42 for 10 litres!

Comment

Working...
                  X