No announcement yet.

Insignia 2.0 Sports Tourer MY19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still not convinced matrix lights should be messed around with. They're far from normal LEDs and I don't think they will leave the factory without the proper adjustments already made. As I said, I don't want to put a downer on your new purchase. I just wouldn't want you to be a pain to oncoming and preceding drivers.
    2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

Originally posted by marko301 View Post
      I'm still not convinced matrix lights should be messed around with. They're far from normal LEDs and I don't think they will leave the factory without the proper adjustments already made. As I said, I don't want to put a downer on your new purchase. I just wouldn't want you to be a pain to oncoming and preceding drivers.
      If you'd seen the light pattern of my car it might have changed your opinion on factory adjustments. I had a phone discussion with the dealer and they didn't disagree of anything I said about the light pattern or about the necessary changes.

The low beam modules are independent from my experience, and when looked closely during high beams switched on, the low beam pattern partially blends with the high beam pattern, and you can see the edges where low beam cuts off. The blending between low/high beam is not very fluent, and if the low beam pattern points too low in either headlight, there's a distinguishable and very annoying gap between low beam and high beam, as it was in my case (the right side headlight pointed much lower than the left, that would be the left side in UK). The other headlight seemed okay to me, didn't have to touch that one. Of course everyone is responsible for their own doing, and should be aware of the risks involved in any changes.

I believe the high beam pattern cannot be adjusted through the same screws as low beams, if at all. No reason to touch it anyways, and it didn't have any effect in the high beam pattern. The low beam pattern is much easier to fiddle with because of it's static nature. I've seen this issue before in a number of cars with intelligent xenons. The screws are there to set the reference level of which the auto leveling system will be pointed to, and as far as I can tell no other adjustments can be made without special tools. It looks like you cannot "break" the high beam mechanism by yourself, because there is no way to do it without physically tampering with the headlight unit.

Found also some useful discussion about Intellilux here: https://www.astrakforums.co.uk/viewt...lit=intellilux

In 2016 I was test driving a brand new Kia Optima with LED headlights. The dealer's test car had both of the headlights adjusted above the horizontal line (upwards) = straight to blind other people, so you might guess how much flashing there was by oncoming traffic. Never felt so awkward driving with a brand new car. In here you will get feedback if your lights are blinding people. I haven't gotten any flashes, with dynamic light assist on, and it's also quite dark in here, only 6 hours of daylight, so lights are almost always on.

I am very confident that A) I haven't broken anything, and B) the lights are now properly adjusted, so don't worry. If I ever get flashed, I promise to take the car to the dealer, you have my word for it.

Comment

Originally posted by karsta View Post
        If you'd seen the light pattern of my car it might have changed your opinion on factory adjustments. I had a phone discussion with the dealer and they didn't disagree of anything I said about the light pattern or about the necessary changes.

The low beam modules are independent from my experience, and when looked closely during high beams switched on, the low beam pattern partially blends with the high beam pattern, and you can see the edges where low beam cuts off. The blending between low/high beam is not very fluent, and if the low beam pattern points too low in either headlight, there's a distinguishable and very annoying gap between low beam and high beam, as it was in my case (the right side headlight pointed much lower than the left, that would be the left side in UK). The other headlight seemed okay to me, didn't have to touch that one. Of course everyone is responsible for their own doing, and should be aware of the risks involved in any changes.

I believe the high beam pattern cannot be adjusted through the same screws as low beams, if at all. No reason to touch it anyways, and it didn't have any effect in the high beam pattern. The low beam pattern is much easier to fiddle with because of it's static nature. I've seen this issue before in a number of cars with intelligent xenons. The screws are there to set the reference level of which the auto leveling system will be pointed to, and as far as I can tell no other adjustments can be made without special tools. It looks like you cannot "break" the high beam mechanism by yourself, because there is no way to do it without physically tampering with the headlight unit.

Found also some useful discussion about Intellilux here: https://www.astrakforums.co.uk/viewt...lit=intellilux

In 2016 I was test driving a brand new Kia Optima with LED headlights. The dealer's test car had both of the headlights adjusted above the horizontal line (upwards) = straight to blind other people, so you might guess how much flashing there was by oncoming traffic. Never felt so awkward driving with a brand new car. In here you will get feedback if your lights are blinding people. I haven't gotten any flashes, with dynamic light assist on, and it's also quite dark in here, only 6 hours of daylight, so lights are almost always on.

I am very confident that A) I haven't broken anything, and B) the lights are now properly adjusted, so don't worry. If I ever get flashed, I promise to take the car to the dealer, you have my word for it.
        Would like to commend both of you on such a caring and polite thread .
        Seriously very well worded, and both put points across without any ill feeling

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
        Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

FWIW, took the car to a local MOT guy I know this morning. Checked the dip beams and both were low on his beam setter. We both stood over the adjusters and he agreed that both could be tweeked to give the correct/normal dipped height. One turn of each adjuster was all that was required to bring the beams up. He said it was normal for some new cars less than 3 years old, so pre MOT time, to have low dipped settings straight from the factory. Most people don't know this and just accept what the car came with when it left the factory. As yes, he knew his way around LED lights so happy days (night?) ahead. Tonight will tell if there's an improvement.
          Insignia B Sports Tourer Elite 170 manual, Flip Chip.

Comment

In that case it looks like manufacturers pre sale adjustments are set on the cautious side. I wonder if that's because of all these complains coming from oncoming drivers about all the new car lights blinding them.
            MattG Thanks for noticing. Yeah my comments where never about anything other than looking out for a fellow member, and I think karsta knew that by his replies. The information from both him and GTR has cleared up my concerns.
            2017 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Sri Nav 1.5 (165ps) Turbo petrol in Lava Red - Keyless entry and start - 18” five spoke alloy wheels - Front fog lights - Tinted rear windows - Aluminium sports pedals - Ambient interior led lighting - Front and rear parking assist - Active emergency braking - Forward collision assist - Front pedestrian alert - Traffic sign recognition - Lane keep assist - Cruise control - Speed warning and limiter - Voice recognition - Bluetooth - Duel zone climate control - Front and rear electric windows - High beam assist - Auto lights - Auto wipers - Wifi hotspot - 8” colour touchscreen Navi 900 with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and DAB

Comment

In that case it looks like manufacturers pre sale adjustments are set on the cautious side. I wonder if that's because of all these complains coming from oncoming drivers about all the new car lights blinding them.
              MattG Thanks for noticing. Yeah my comments where never about anything other than looking out for a fellow member, and I think karsta knew that by his replies. The information from both him and GTR has cleared up my concerns.

Btw, I couldn't help but noticing you mention the lane keeping assistant on your signature. Does it really switch on automatically each time the car is started, regardless of what setting is last selected when turning the car off? The dealer couldn't give a straight answer to this, but on mine it always pops on, which is quite annoying. Even the different driver profile settings don't help.

First there was the start stop function automagically on by default, then this. Maybe just better get used to it.

Comment

Yeah it's on as default every time you start the car. It only activates above 37mph though. Its a great feature. I wouldn't be without it now I've gotten used to it.

Comment

Yeah it's on as default every time you start the car. It only activates above 37mph though. Its a great feature. I wouldn't be without it now I've gotten used to it.
                  As you get older it seems we need a machine to tell us not to cross the white lines

MATTG - 2016 - 2.0 ELITE 170
                  Usual Elite specification;Dancing lights, up/down windows, sliding seats, on board atlas, slippery seats, musical bumpers, storm detectors, tubeless radio, female knight rider communication system, all seeing windscreen, cherry air freshener, auto moaning passengers, learner driver, shiny door pins, rear boom box, Heko smoked window hats, rear window sunglasses, 10 million candle flame reversing lights, matching number plate lights, shiny pedals, front and rear all seeing eyes, fully integrated interrogation system, empty bank account .

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                    As you get older it seems we need a machine to tell us not to cross the white lines
                    More like as you get older it seems we need a machine to steer the car while we have a nap.

Comment

Good old VX/Opel warning lights - when lane assist is on (by default), the button light illuminates. But when the auto stop start is turned "off", the button illuminates. So one way of telling us a system is active and another that's the opposite .

Comment

I think a lot of us with either OEM LED's or Xenons, or even correctly adjusted aftermarket LEDs or HIDs, are being flashed is inevitable given the undulations of some roads. If you're coming uphill to the crest and a vehicle's coming the other way, the laws of angles and physics means someone is going to be dazzled for a short period. Maybe it's the brightness of lights in this scenario that's the issue as candle powered halogens give the same effect but not as much and hence the complaints? Just a thought guys.

Comment

imo ,the worst cars for dazzeling headlights at the moment are the new Mini,,and by far the worst for me,is the newer Quashqai,,they burn your fkn retinas out ,don't know of its cos they sit that little bit higher than other cars
                          ​2015 Sri vx line nav BiTurbo . Sri heated leather.5500k AFL . Vx line 20s,8inch LCD dash .FLEXride.Reverse cam.Irmscher grill.235hp and 480 torqs.30mm lowering springs.20mm H&R spacers all round. Mtec drilled discs on rear,VXR 355mm drilled on front,with Brembo 4 pot calipers. Auto wipers .VX puddle lights.Carbon effect black roof wrap.Irmscher roof spoiler.Irmscher side skirts.

Comment

I was thinking the same about new Volvo models' headlights. Their LEDs seem to dazzle no matter what angle you pass them by. Just plain terrible engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by GTR View Post
                              Good old VX/Opel warning lights - when lane assist is on (by default), the button light illuminates. But when the auto stop start is turned "off", the button illuminates. So one way of telling us a system is active and another that's the opposite .
                              I think that Auto Stop and Lane Assist default to 'on' to try and ensure drivers are using both, unless they prefer to disable either or both of them. The same is true of TC and ESP. At least we have the ability to decide whether we have them on or not, which is better than was the case on some earlier VX cars, where Traction Control and ESP, if fitted, were permanently set to 'on'.

Comment

Working...
                              X